Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari problems

When I open safari on my iMac, it will not allow me to click on anything in the browser; can’t minimize, close out, switch tabs or anything. I can’t restart because “safari has interrupted restart” message pops up. I do a force shut down and restart the whole computer and it’s the same exact thing.

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 3:22 PM

Launch Safari with the shift key held down. Then clear History… all history : [Clear History]. That will get rid of all cookies and history. In Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar. In the Extensions tab, disable all extensions. Close Safari Preferences. Now, you can press option+command+E to clear your Safari browser cache. Quit Safari.

Download and run Malwarebytes for Mac to see if it finds any browser hijacking malware. Any malware that it finds, it will offer to remove.

Now, launch Safari normally. Does it still hang?

Disclaimer: Although I personally use Malwarebytes, I receive no benefit from the vendor for mentioning their product in the support communities.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2019 3:22 PM in response to virgilfromlancaster

Launch Safari with the shift key held down. Then clear History… all history : [Clear History]. That will get rid of all cookies and history. In Safari Preferences : Advanced : [√] Show Develop menu in menu bar. In the Extensions tab, disable all extensions. Close Safari Preferences. Now, you can press option+command+E to clear your Safari browser cache. Quit Safari.

Download and run Malwarebytes for Mac to see if it finds any browser hijacking malware. Any malware that it finds, it will offer to remove.

Now, launch Safari normally. Does it still hang?

Disclaimer: Although I personally use Malwarebytes, I receive no benefit from the vendor for mentioning their product in the support communities.

Safari problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.