Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k

My Apple TV 4K turns the tv screen off and on. I have checked the internet speed and it is fine. When I disconnect it from the TV there is no longer a problem. Any suggestions? I've reset the Apple TV and still have an issue.

Apple TV 4K

Posted on Jun 23, 2019 6:10 PM

5 replies

Jun 23, 2019 7:45 PM in response to lara.m.e

My Apple TV 4K turns the tv screen off and on.

When does did happen? Does it coincide with a particular action?

If you mean that waking the Apple TV from sleep, also wakes the TV from standby,

and putting the Apple TV in sleep mode, also puts the TV in standby mode,

then that is an intended feature (HDMI-CEC).

If you mean something else, then please elaborate.

Jun 24, 2019 3:40 PM in response to lara.m.e

Does the screen turn black, or does the TV actually turn off?

The screen might turn black because of HDCP issues, when the HDMI fails to authenticate usage of the video signal. This might happen with bad HDMI cables. It might happen is the HDMI plug is not properly seated in the port. Try unplugging the HDMI cable(s) on both ends, then connecting again. Does it improve?

Can you try using other premium HDMI cables to validate the cables? If it is solved with other/borrowed cables, then the previous cables were likely to blame.

Jun 29, 2019 10:17 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for your suggestion. I did purchase a premium cord and checked all the plugs. I’m beginning to think it is not an Apple TV issue. I am now thinking it may be an internet speed or Samsung TV issue. Current internet speed is 300. When the screen goes black and comes back on again, the program I’m watching has continued without pausing during the blackout time. Last night I was watching a Netflix movie after 10pm and didn’t have any of these issues. However earlier in the evening the screen still blacked out. I’m open to continued suggestions.

Apple TV 4k

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.