Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slovenian keyboard input source - change keystrokes for @

Me and other colleagues, friends, coworkers, etc, are using a Slovenian keyboard input source on macOS. The trouble is a letter '@'. It is very widely used, but to access it on a keyboard you should press three keys simultaneously: Shift + Option + 2.

Croatian keyboard input source (which is actually the same as Slovenian) was recently changed in a way that you have to press just two keys to get '@': Option + 2. With Shift + Option + 2 you get '™' character now, which means, that the keystrokes were switched for those two letters. Which makes much more sense for daily usage. Namely, letter '™' in rarely or never used in day to day life. On contrary, '@' is used constantly.

My question is, to whom in Apple should I turn (or what is a procedure) to make this keystrokes switch for letters '@' and '™' for Slovenian keyboard input source in a same manner Croatian keyboard input source was changed officially?

On top of this there is also a Croatian - PC keyboard input source in Mohave officially.

This would be very useful for Slovenian keyboard definition also, like eg. Slovenian - PC keyboard input source. Layout is the same.

It also looks like Slovenian keyboard definition was not updated for a while now. There is not even no keyboard layout picture visible when browsing input source to add in System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources.

Thanks in advance,

Mitja

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 12:04 PM

You can let Apple know what you think via the feedback page: http://www.apple.com/feedback

In the meantime, you can try "Ukelele", an application that allows you to create and edit keyboard layouts.

You can start with a copy of the existing Slovenian layout, and change the output associated with these keys in a few minutes.

Then you can use this modified layout and work as you want.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2019 12:04 PM in response to mitjam

You can let Apple know what you think via the feedback page: http://www.apple.com/feedback

In the meantime, you can try "Ukelele", an application that allows you to create and edit keyboard layouts.

You can start with a copy of the existing Slovenian layout, and change the output associated with these keys in a few minutes.

Then you can use this modified layout and work as you want.

Jul 28, 2019 10:25 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom Gewecke wrote:

Put the one you have produced on Dropbox so others can download it. Let me know and I will mention it in my blog.

Tom,

please find newly created Slovenian 2 keyboard bundle on my Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wbam526j1j7yym/AAAhTEcCuuHKVUAxouillr3Za?dl=0

There are two Slovenian keyboard layouts there:

• Slovenian - @, which is equal to original mac Slovenian one, except there are exchanged key combinations for characters @ and . You get '@' with keys ⌥ + 2.
  • Slovenian - PC, which is a mac Slovenian keyboard layout, useful for Slovenian PC keyboard. The basis is original mac Slovenian layout, whereas there are visible engraved characters from PC keyboard (that are different from Slovenian Mac layout) appropriately attached to particular key combinations. And keyboard is QWERTZ instead of QWERTY, to correspond to PC layout.

Please upload keyboard bundle from my Dropbox to your blog site, if possible. There will probably not be a possibility to keep the bundle for a long time there.

Jun 25, 2019 12:24 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you very much for an instant reply ;-)

I’m already familiar with Ukelele. I used it to create a ‘Slovenian - PC’ keyboard layout out of Slovenian one for my coulegues.

What I would like at the end is, that this change is an official part of macOS itself. Without any additions for widespread usage. I’m sure that everybody that uses Slovenian keyboard layout can benefit from this.

Thanks again.

Jun 25, 2019 2:19 AM in response to mitjam

mitjam wrote:

What I would like at the end is, that this change is an official part of macOS itself. Without any additions for widespread usage.

You can submit feedback, as suggested by Luis, but the chances of Apple adding a new keyboard are really very small in my experience over the years. Put the one you have produced on Dropbox so others can download it. Let me know and I will mention it in my blog.

Sep 8, 2019 9:57 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom, I updated Slovenian - PC keyboard file. Key definition stays the same, however I changed group id of a layout from 126 (Unicode) to 0. This caused troubles on at least one computer.

Would you please replace keyboard bundle file, located on your blog, please. My Dropbox link is the same like before (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wbam526j1j7yym/AAAhTEcCuuHKVUAxouillr3Za?dl=0).

Slovenian keyboard input source - change keystrokes for @

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.