Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming iCloud.com Mail Going to Wrong Mailbox

I have multiple Apple devices (macOS, IOS), and this happens on all of them.

I have an iCloud account using a Gmail address, and it's been working fine for years (the cloud allows for syncing of contacts, calendars, etc.). I also have an icloud.com email address, and I have set up my Apple devices to use that icloud account for mail only.

What is 'bizarre' to me is that when someone sends an email message to my icloud.com email address, the email is actually put it the gmail inbox of the mail client (not in the icloud inbox) - but the email actually shows that it was sent to my icloud.com address. Fortunately, when I attempt to reply to that email, the email goes out via my icloud.com email address (even though the incoming message was put in the gmail inbox).

My icloud.com inbox is always empty - even when I use a browser and go to iCloud.com and look at my mail.

Is this 'designed' behavior, or is this a design flaw? It seems confusing tom me.

I 'may' decide to move all of my devices to my icloud.com 'cloud', but I would want to make sure first that I don't lose everything that I am currently synchronizing.

Thanks.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2019 6:25 PM

In your Mac system preferences > iCloud the Apple ID is signed in and created with gmail services say example1@gmail.com and this is your primary Apple ID account .

You had also created an apple id ending with iCloud domain say example2@icloud.com

When you receive a mail the person who used the mail address of yours example1@gmail.com to send , it will go to inbox of gmail account in IMAP account and also in iCloud server account if you open www.icloud.com with your Apple ID and password ( it acts like a mirror ) .

And if you compose a mail from an IMAP account ( use command and N keys ) , in the from field if you click on drop down arrow a right check mark will be shown in front of say the best top most mail address it is about be selected and would be used to send from this domain only .

See this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/mlhlp1098/12.0/mac/10.14

Set your From email address

If you set up email aliases or use several email accounts, you can choose which address to use when you send your messages.

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, move the pointer over the From field in your message.
  2. Click the pop-up menu that appears, then choose an email address.

If you want to use the same From address for all your messages, choose Mail > Preferences, click Composing, click the “Send new messages from” pop-up menu, then choose an email account. Or choose instead to have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2019 6:25 PM in response to rckingsley

In your Mac system preferences > iCloud the Apple ID is signed in and created with gmail services say example1@gmail.com and this is your primary Apple ID account .

You had also created an apple id ending with iCloud domain say example2@icloud.com

When you receive a mail the person who used the mail address of yours example1@gmail.com to send , it will go to inbox of gmail account in IMAP account and also in iCloud server account if you open www.icloud.com with your Apple ID and password ( it acts like a mirror ) .

And if you compose a mail from an IMAP account ( use command and N keys ) , in the from field if you click on drop down arrow a right check mark will be shown in front of say the best top most mail address it is about be selected and would be used to send from this domain only .

See this article https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mail/mlhlp1098/12.0/mac/10.14

Set your From email address

If you set up email aliases or use several email accounts, you can choose which address to use when you send your messages.

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, move the pointer over the From field in your message.
  2. Click the pop-up menu that appears, then choose an email address.

If you want to use the same From address for all your messages, choose Mail > Preferences, click Composing, click the “Send new messages from” pop-up menu, then choose an email account. Or choose instead to have Mail automatically select the best address, based on the email address of the first recipient in your message, as well as the currently selected mailbox and message.

Incoming iCloud.com Mail Going to Wrong Mailbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.