Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with mail app constantly automatically opening.

Hi,

I'm having an issue where the mail app randomly just opens every 20 minutes or so... I've tried a few different things to fix it, but nothing seems to work. how can I stop the mail app from randomly popping up? This interupts videos that are playing in full screen and gets very annoying.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2019 5:42 PM

Since I don't permit Google products to be installed on any of my Macs I don't know either. However, I do know that Google implemented some kind of change that resulted in an inability to authenticate in the usual manner. See this Discussion: Mail Google authentication. I surmise that a subsequent macOS update has resulted in the behavior you describe.

I suggest that you examine System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Click through each one of the entries on the left column and determine if Google has been granted access to Mail (for example).

A representative screenshot is below, but examine each one of the entries such as Automation, Calendars, etc. Your Security & Privacy settings are almost certain to be different, and it may shed some light on the cause:

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2019 5:42 PM in response to LiamBM

Since I don't permit Google products to be installed on any of my Macs I don't know either. However, I do know that Google implemented some kind of change that resulted in an inability to authenticate in the usual manner. See this Discussion: Mail Google authentication. I surmise that a subsequent macOS update has resulted in the behavior you describe.

I suggest that you examine System Preferences > Security & Privacy. Click through each one of the entries on the left column and determine if Google has been granted access to Mail (for example).

A representative screenshot is below, but examine each one of the entries such as Automation, Calendars, etc. Your Security & Privacy settings are almost certain to be different, and it may shed some light on the cause:

Jun 25, 2019 5:00 PM in response to LiamBM

Apparently that's how Google wants Mail to work. After all, it's their Mac, not yours. Right?

For a few recent examples read

Ever since 10.14.5 mail app has been opening on its own (usually about half an hour or so after receiving new mail).

when i hide mail it will periodically open by itself

Mail coming to fore window for no reason?

I can't see any solutions apart from people saying to remove the google email providers... hmm

I did that a very long time ago. Mail works properly on all my Macs.

Jun 25, 2019 5:07 PM in response to John Galt

I've tried using that yellow minimize button instead of closing, but it still popped up. I just read this other post which gave me instructions to go on google calander and turn off email notifications, we'll see if that works... If not il try the minimize button a few more times just incase.

This never use to happen, only started recently happening in the past 1-2 months. Not sure what changed.

Issues with mail app constantly automatically opening.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.