Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro just stopped accepting my password

My MacbookPro just stopped accepting my password. When I opt to reboot in order to reset password, I get the "Reset Password" screen but there is no volume to select. Then it reboots and I go back to

the enter password prompt. Can't figure out how to break the loop. I've reset PRAM, shut down, etc.

[Re-Titled by Host]

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 26, 2019 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 6:27 AM

Click the "Exit" button at the bottom of the Password Reset screen if it shows the Exit button (it isn't always there) and you should be able to continue logging into the laptop.

If this does not work, then do a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

For some reason macOS presents a password reset screen if the system doesn't boot successfully or if the laptop shuts down prematurely. I have no idea for why macOS thinks a password reset is required. It is very odd.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2019 6:27 AM in response to amie_j

Click the "Exit" button at the bottom of the Password Reset screen if it shows the Exit button (it isn't always there) and you should be able to continue logging into the laptop.

If this does not work, then do a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for a full minute so it activates several times).

For some reason macOS presents a password reset screen if the system doesn't boot successfully or if the laptop shuts down prematurely. I have no idea for why macOS thinks a password reset is required. It is very odd.

Macbook Pro just stopped accepting my password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.