Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repair Advice

iMAC Retina, built 2014. I am using TechTool Pro 11 and get a "Warning" fro, Smart Check indicating failure of SSD is possible due to "Wear Leveling Count". Pop-ups persist and advise me that although not actually defective yet, looks like it may go anytime. Warning is regarding 121.33 GB APPLE SSD SMO128G

My Q: Guess I'll need to replace the SSD (??). If so - safe to take it to local UBreakIFix store or better to take into Apple store and pay them to make the repair.

Q#2: If I do so, when it is return, will I need to reload any programs/apps or will the mirrored image be on the new SSD.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 10:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2019 10:58 AM

No, only take it to your local Apple Store or independent Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. DO NOT take it to a general computer repair shop as they are a) not trained and b) do not have the correct tools to diagnose and repair the computer. You can begin finding either an Apple Store or AASP in you area by using the Support link on Apple's website.

If you have been backing up using either Time Machine or using a bootable clone app, once the computer is repaired you can restore your data and apps. You may need to manually install some apps such as Adobe professional apps and Microsoft Office as their developers will not allow you to do this via a restore.

Good luck.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2019 10:58 AM in response to JEBEMB

No, only take it to your local Apple Store or independent Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. DO NOT take it to a general computer repair shop as they are a) not trained and b) do not have the correct tools to diagnose and repair the computer. You can begin finding either an Apple Store or AASP in you area by using the Support link on Apple's website.

If you have been backing up using either Time Machine or using a bootable clone app, once the computer is repaired you can restore your data and apps. You may need to manually install some apps such as Adobe professional apps and Microsoft Office as their developers will not allow you to do this via a restore.

Good luck.

Repair Advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.