Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is the ssd drive on my Mac Mini late 2014 replaceable?

Hey so I just got a Mac Mini Late 2014 2.8ghz with a 256gb Apple SSD.

I bought a terabyte SSD hoping to get it replaced, but i got the form of ssd which is square, aka the traditional size/form.

Apparently, the Mac Mini Late 2014 I have only has a chip-version SSD, and the service center told me my drive is not compatible.

But... the service center did not do a complete teardown of the mini, as all the online tutorials show me. They just opened the case, saw the Apple brand chip style SSD there, and told me my square-sized ssd drive is not compatible.

I guess my question is, even if my mini has the Apple SSD chip-style on top of it, is there still the space for the square-style ssd drive if i do the complete teardown? thank you

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 9:30 PM

9 replies

Jul 3, 2019 6:34 AM in response to John Beauchamp

The Mac mini 2014 has the potential to support two types of drives.

1. A standard 2.5" SATA drive (which could be a SATA hard drive or SSD)
  2. A PCI SSD. This uses the proprietary Apple connector not the standard M2 connector, it is the same type as used in the iMac and MacBook Pro circa 2015

As others have mentioned if your Mac mini only came with a SATA drive or only came with a PCI SSD drive it will only have the brackets and cables for that type of drive, if it came as a Fusion drive it will have both connections.

I have personally bought a Mac mini 2014 which only had a SATA hard drive and then bought separately as parts the bracket and cable and a genuine Apple SSD to convert it to a Fusion drive.

In theory it might be possible to buy and use an adapter card to convert from Apple's proprietary connector to a standard M2 connector such as this - http://eshop.sintech.cn/ngff-m2-pcie-ssd-card-as-2013-2014-2015-macbook-ssd-p-1139.html

It is likely such an adapter might leave the SSD only partially secured but as the Mac mini is not going to be moved and shaken (hopefully) this should not be a problem.

Jul 3, 2019 3:54 AM in response to John Beauchamp

John Beauchamp wrote:

Hey so I just got a Mac Mini Late 2014 2.8ghz with a 256gb Apple SSD.

I bought a terabyte SSD hoping to get it replaced, but i got the form of ssd which is square, aka the traditional size/form.

Apparently, the Mac Mini Late 2014 I have only has a chip-version SSD, and the service center told me my drive is not compatible.

But... the service center did not do a complete teardown of the mini, as all the online tutorials show me. They just opened the case, saw the Apple brand chip style SSD there, and told me my square-sized ssd drive is not compatible.

I guess my question is, even if my mini has the Apple SSD chip-style on top of it, is there still the space for the square-style ssd drive if i do the complete teardown? thank you

You can easily replace the PCI-E drive:

https://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/mac-mini-2014-pcie_ssd/

OWC in a very Mac-centric supplier and have a variety of very good

PCI-E Drives:

https://eshop.macsales.com/upgrades/mac-mini-late-2014-2.6-ghz/internal-drives

is the ssd drive on my Mac Mini late 2014 replaceable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.