Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The future of transferring files to a computer

I read that iTunes is going to disappear. I wonder if Apple will provide a way of transferring to my (Windows) computer not just music but also Microsoft Office documents, images, videos and basically everything that I am able to easily transfer from an Android device and if it will not be a bit of a headache like it used to be with my old Apple device.

I am considering getting my first Apple product in 8 years (an iPad) but I do not understand how transfer of files works since I have never owned an iPad before. I hope somebody can answer my question about the future of Apple regarding this matter.

Thank you in advance and have a good day.

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 1:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 1:29 PM

iTunes is disappearing for Mac users in favor of three services. Windows users will still use iTunes on their computers.

If you have a MS Office subscription on your Windows computer, you will be able to download the MS apps to your iPad and sign in using your MS Office ID and Password. You can then use One Drive (there is an app for that on iPad) to access your documents on your Windows computer or your iPad.

Concerning the future of iPad, go out to Youtube and watch some videos about the new iPadOS 13 coming in the fall. This is going to significantly change how files are moved back and forth between computers and iPad.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2019 1:29 PM in response to JuanMML

iTunes is disappearing for Mac users in favor of three services. Windows users will still use iTunes on their computers.

If you have a MS Office subscription on your Windows computer, you will be able to download the MS apps to your iPad and sign in using your MS Office ID and Password. You can then use One Drive (there is an app for that on iPad) to access your documents on your Windows computer or your iPad.

Concerning the future of iPad, go out to Youtube and watch some videos about the new iPadOS 13 coming in the fall. This is going to significantly change how files are moved back and forth between computers and iPad.

Jun 29, 2019 7:15 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank for your response.

The reason why I have my reservations about iOS devices is because I cannot see how needing a separate app (which apart from making things more complicated will take up storage space) for each type of file that one wants to send (or even needing one app for all of them) might be better than (or as efficient and easy as) the traditional system of just copying and pasting files from a device to a computer and viceversa.

I might be completely mistaken due to a lack of understanding of the system. I hope you can shed light on the matter of the paragraph above.

Thank you for your time. Have a good day.

Jun 29, 2019 7:22 AM in response to JuanMML

If it's been a long time since you've had an iOS device, most apps take up very little space on iPad. Gone are the days of 16 or 32 GB devices. You can buy an iPad now with up to 1000 GB. If you purchase enough memory, you won't need to worry.

My iPad Pro 11" (2018) is 256 GB. I have currently 186 Apps, over 6,000 photos, loads of videos and files and I'm currently using about 38 GB (including the system iOS files) out of 256 GB.

Always buy the most memory you can afford and then you'll never need to be concerned.

Hard drive support is coming to iPad. This will make iPad storage even less of a concern.

I hope this helps.

The future of transferring files to a computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.