Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won’t play sound through hdmi. What do I do?

So I have tried everything that was suggested and it’s no t working. What do I do? So far I have gone to playback selected direct sound restarted iTunes and my laptop. None of it has worked

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2019 2:41 PM

So I guess you are connecting external monitor (with build in speakers) with hdmi cable. In this case click on the apple logo in the top left corner of the screen and click System Preferences. In the system preferences window, click sound and under the output tab, select the HDMI option. This should produce audio (and video). If there is still no audio, click on the search button in the top right corner of the screen and type Audio MIDI Setup. In the list of search results, click on the Audio MIDI Setup application. In the Audio MIDI Setup application, click on the HDMI option in the list of devices on the left. In the right-hand portion of the screen, ensure that Format is set to 48000 Hz and 2-ch 24bit. The settings take effect immediately - just close the MIDI setup application.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2019 2:41 PM in response to Help_pls1

So I guess you are connecting external monitor (with build in speakers) with hdmi cable. In this case click on the apple logo in the top left corner of the screen and click System Preferences. In the system preferences window, click sound and under the output tab, select the HDMI option. This should produce audio (and video). If there is still no audio, click on the search button in the top right corner of the screen and type Audio MIDI Setup. In the list of search results, click on the Audio MIDI Setup application. In the Audio MIDI Setup application, click on the HDMI option in the list of devices on the left. In the right-hand portion of the screen, ensure that Format is set to 48000 Hz and 2-ch 24bit. The settings take effect immediately - just close the MIDI setup application.

iTunes won’t play sound through hdmi. What do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.