Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing identity connected to iPad

I accidentally set up my kids iPad two years ago with my Apple ID instead of his. How can I change it to be his Apple ID

He already has an Apple ID. It’s just that this iPad is connected to my ID. I already have a family set up. And I already have family sharing. The main thing I need is for my messages not to come through his iPad

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 8:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2019 8:27 AM

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. Also see Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2019 8:27 AM in response to bairdv

There may be some data loss, but you can minimize it. If syncing photos with iCloud, ensure Optimization is turned off in Settings/Your Name/iCloud/Photos and/or in Photos/Preferences/iCloud. Then make sure full resolution photos are on the device/computer. When signing out of iCloud, if asked whether you want to retain data, choose yes. Messages conversations will be lost if they are addressed to the ID. See the article below for other places that the old ID should be removed. Also see Winston Churchill's response in the below discussion

How to transfer all files from one iCloud account to another

Apple ID email address or password - What to do after you change

Changing identity connected to iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.