Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to locate files using Finder

I recently updated my desktop to macOS Mojave version 10.14.5.

Since then the Finder feature has been slow at locating files and also does not show all files searched. When I then recreate the file and save, it states a file by that name already exists. It is driving me crazy! As is the slowness of the search. The day before I did the update, my desktop worked perfectly.

I have read other threads: tried relaunching Finder with no luck.

What can I do about this?

Thanks.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 9:25 AM

Have you reindexed the drive for Spotlight? How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Also download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what's causing the problem..

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 9:25 AM in response to nic2016

Have you reindexed the drive for Spotlight? How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support

Also download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what's causing the problem..

Jul 2, 2019 12:04 PM in response to nic2016

I'll expand on what Old Toad wrote.

Try a safe boot.

Shutdown your machine.  Hold down the shift key.  Poweron.  The boot up will take longer than normal because the filesystem on the startup drive is being checked and repaired as needed.   All about safe mode including what features and apps safe boot leaves out.  Safe boot uses a software driver instead of using your machines video hardware.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

For finding files, I like to use "Find Any File" app.

https://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

R

Unable to locate files using Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.