Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme IPv6 Native Support 2019 Firmware 7.9.1 PPPoE Static Prefix Range Error.

I have an Airport Extreme 802.11ac on firmware version 7.9.1

My ISP provides Automatic Native IPv6 support ( internode.on.net )

Automatic setting in Airport Utility for Airport Extreme 802.11ac yields an incorrect PPPoE delegated static /48 IPv6 prefix.

Internode's IPv6 native service provides a PPPoE delegated static /56 IPv6 prefix automatically to other tested devices on this network (Cisco, TP-Link).

Airport Extreme IPv6 settings don't allow configuration to a static /56 prefix, always defaults to Tunnel instead of Native and returns IPv6 Relay Errors.

IPv6 has now been implemented for over seven years.

When can we expect to, or how can we use Native IPv6 with Apple's native router equipment, with which, for any other reason, I'm am pleased both aesthetically and in functionality?

Thus, it seems we are still completely limited to IPv4 and Link Local Only IPv6.

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2019 9:46 PM

Thank you Bob,

Occasionally, there is 'knowledge' espoused in Discussions that yields erudition, even when an enquiry seems untenable.

Hardware support is a non-sequitur. IPv6 support is no more than a firmware upgrade away. I wonder about the link-local option being so heavily used by 'local' network services being a hindrance?

I will remove my initial AirPort Extreme router, use it as another extender, and implement a redundancy of $29 routers that will support IPv6 natively.

Strange though, I will stay with Apple as long as possible, as I've been using nearly strictly Apple products since my first

Apple ][+ 48K

in 1978. Historically, Apple has been an industry leader, however I do understand that ISP connectivity options are fraught with mixed retro and hacked solutions that make it difficult for terminal connectivity devices.

I have marked your reply Helpful and Solved.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 2, 2019 9:46 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you Bob,

Occasionally, there is 'knowledge' espoused in Discussions that yields erudition, even when an enquiry seems untenable.

Hardware support is a non-sequitur. IPv6 support is no more than a firmware upgrade away. I wonder about the link-local option being so heavily used by 'local' network services being a hindrance?

I will remove my initial AirPort Extreme router, use it as another extender, and implement a redundancy of $29 routers that will support IPv6 natively.

Strange though, I will stay with Apple as long as possible, as I've been using nearly strictly Apple products since my first

Apple ][+ 48K

in 1978. Historically, Apple has been an industry leader, however I do understand that ISP connectivity options are fraught with mixed retro and hacked solutions that make it difficult for terminal connectivity devices.

I have marked your reply Helpful and Solved.

Cheers!

Jul 2, 2019 8:56 PM in response to splurben

When can we expect to, or how can we use Native IPv6 with Apple's native router equipment, with which, for any other reason, I'm am pleased both aesthetically and in functionality?

We are all users here......just like you. No one on a user-to-user support forum will be able to tell you what Apple might do or when they might do it, but it might be relevant to note that Apple has literally ignored PPPoE for a number of years.

Remember that the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac and AirPort Time Capsule 802.11ac versions were introduced in 2013, meaning that they were developed in the 2011 to 2012 timeframe. Not that much was known about IPv6 at the time, so Apple included what was.....in my opinion..... preliminary and very basic IPv6 functionality on the AirPorts.

There have been no changes to the hardware (or PPPoE software) since the products were introduced, so based on the fact that Apple discontinued these products more than a year ago, I would not look for anything in the way of significant improvements on the products regarding PPPoE or IPv6 in general.

As far as answers, your best bet would be to speak with someone in Apple Support directly.

Airport Extreme IPv6 Native Support 2019 Firmware 7.9.1 PPPoE Static Prefix Range Error.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.