Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari pop-up preferences missing

When I go to Safari Preferences and click on the Websites tab, there is no Pop-up option in the left bar (see screen shot). I am using Safari 12.1.1 on a MacBook Pro (Early 2011) running macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 6:52 PM

Try the Safe Mode to see if it shows there.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

If it still isn't working, try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information    10.10 and later

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 5, 2019 6:52 PM in response to drewnigh2212

Try the Safe Mode to see if it shows there.

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit the application.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J.  When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.  Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist.  Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

This may require a reset of some other Preferences.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

If it still isn't working, try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information    10.10 and later

Jul 6, 2019 3:46 AM in response to drewnigh2212

Well

At least I'm not the only one with the missing pop up blocker. Works fine in alternate user account as well. I've deleted every safari preference file and cache i could find, doesn't solve the issue. I'm not really sure when it started as I don't seem to be getting pop ups. But I first noticed it when I decided to run the uninstall flash program to remove the flash plug in, I'm on the latest version of Mojave but also Safari 12.1.1, Good luck if you find any solution. I'm hoping the next OS update will fix it.

Jul 6, 2019 6:15 PM in response to drewnigh2212

Hi I was finally able to get the pop up blocker control back in Safari preferences by locating and deleting the safari.plist file.

It's in your user library. To get to it (in your user account with the issue) click Go in the Finder menu then hold down the option key on your keyboard, then click library. This will take you to your user library settings.

Then go to Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist and delete that file.

This will reset all your personal Safari preferences such as the toolbar and any settings for Safari back to their defaults but you won't lose any of your bookmarks or iCloud syncing. The pop up setting should then be available for you again in your main user account!

Cheers!

Jul 8, 2019 5:18 PM in response to Eric Root

I restarted in Safe Mode. Safari was really slow starting the first time, and I ended up doing a Force Quit and trying again. The second time I tried opening Safari my computer asked about reopening windows - I said no - and it started up. The pop-up preferences were still missing. I restarted in normal mode and followed your instructions for finding the plist file, moving it to the desktop, and restarting. That worked. Thanks for your help!

Jul 8, 2019 5:57 PM in response to Shane 777

This file path doesn't line up with my computer - the closest thing I have in the Containers folder is com.apple.Safari.CacheDeleteExtension/Data/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.CacheDeleteExtension.LSSharedFileList.plist. So I went with the instructions from Eric Root. It sounds like a very similar approach - thanks for sharing as it made me realize it wasn't as complicated as I first thought.

Safari pop-up preferences missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.