Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

website preferences in safari does not have pop up windows setting

In the safari preferences, under the Website preferences tab, there is no Pop-up Windows setting to even select. Running High Sierra 10.13.6 and Safari 12.1.2 -- has most current updates. Currently running bitdefender but had uninstalled it to see if any change and none noted. The missing Pop-up Windows setting is missing with or without bitdefender. I called Apple support and they were a bit miffed as well.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Aug 24, 2019 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2019 11:31 AM

No, that's not going to do what you want. The fact that it works in another user account means there's nothing wrong with the app itself. You need to sort out the issue in your users folder.

For starters, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Startup Items and delete whatever is there using the minus (-) button, You can always add it back with the (+) button. Restart and test.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 27, 2019 11:31 AM in response to baseclan

No, that's not going to do what you want. The fact that it works in another user account means there's nothing wrong with the app itself. You need to sort out the issue in your users folder.

For starters, go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Startup Items and delete whatever is there using the minus (-) button, You can always add it back with the (+) button. Restart and test.

Aug 24, 2019 7:37 AM in response to baseclan

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

You may need to reinstall the OS to get a new copy of Safari.

Aug 27, 2019 10:31 AM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for this. I set up another user account as suggested and the pop up windows setting appears as it should in the website preferences.

However, I just have to get it to appear in my origin user account since all of my data and settings are there -- so I will try reinstalling High Sierra to get a new copy of Safari.

-- Regards

website preferences in safari does not have pop up windows setting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.