Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 2015 - Display Randomly shuts off

I've been having a problem lately where the display on my 2015 MBP 15in 2.5ghz dual graphics, will randomly turn off requiring me to hard restart my computer. Sometimes this happens and it wont turn back on for a few hours because it will shut off on restart and sometimes it won't happen for a day or two.

Here is the shutdown log it shows:

*** Panic Report ***

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f830be7a9): "virtual bool AMD7000Controller::detectPowerDown(): GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!

"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/GPUDriversAMD/GPUDriversAMD-2.9.26/Common/IONDRV/ATI/IOFramebuffer/ATIFramebuffer/Abstraction/Sources/ATIController.cpp:3050

I think it might be related to my dGPU failing because it happens more during gpu intensive activities and I find that using gswitch to force my machine to use integrated only allows it to run for a few days without an issue.

I'm very comfortable working on my mac so if there is an issue with the controller and not the gpu as a whole failing or an easy solution to fix this that would be great.

Assuming this is means my dgpu is failing (btw, running hardware diagnostics doesn't show any issues), what are my options to fix this / if it requires a new logic board, will apple pay for this? There is no reason my $3,000 machine that is less than 4 years old and is better than the majority of laptops sold today should be failing on me.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 3:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 5:54 PM

Does your laptop qualify for the Battery Recall?

GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!

It does appear your have a GPU issue which will require the replacement of the Logic Board. If the laptop is out of warranty, then you will need to pay for the repair.

There is no reason my $3,000 machine that is less than 4 years old and is better than the majority of laptops sold today should be failing on me.

The reason is some aspect of the hardware has failed for whatever reason. Laptops are more likely to have failures due to the extreme temperature differences between waking & sleeping, plus they are portable devices which encounter stresses which can cause failures even when they are well cared for. Electronic devices today are much more complex and with complexity comes more ways for systems to fail.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2019 5:54 PM in response to Philip0x45

Does your laptop qualify for the Battery Recall?

GPU is not found. PCI config access fails!!!

It does appear your have a GPU issue which will require the replacement of the Logic Board. If the laptop is out of warranty, then you will need to pay for the repair.

There is no reason my $3,000 machine that is less than 4 years old and is better than the majority of laptops sold today should be failing on me.

The reason is some aspect of the hardware has failed for whatever reason. Laptops are more likely to have failures due to the extreme temperature differences between waking & sleeping, plus they are portable devices which encounter stresses which can cause failures even when they are well cared for. Electronic devices today are much more complex and with complexity comes more ways for systems to fail.

MBP 2015 - Display Randomly shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.