Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two factor verification

Why can't I turn this option off? I went from a apple phone back to my blackberry 2 and can't get my iCloud email on it because of this. I go to the security settings and I do not have the option to turn it off. There has to be a way around it! Someone please help!

iPhone SE, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2019 3:53 PM

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require higher security.

However, you can use an app-specific password on your Blackberry instead of your usual Apple ID password. See the following from the same link:

With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple. Follow these steps to generate an app-specific password:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Click Generate Password below App-Specific Passwords.
  3. Follow the steps on your screen.

After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the app as you would normally.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2019 3:53 PM in response to scheidler

See the following from Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

If you already use two-factor authentication, you can no longer turn it off. Certain features in the latest versions of iOS and macOS require this extra level of security, which is designed to protect your information. If you recently updated your account, you can unenroll for two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings. Keep in mind, this makes your account less secure and means that you can't use features that require higher security.

However, you can use an app-specific password on your Blackberry instead of your usual Apple ID password. See the following from the same link:

With two-factor authentication, you need an app-specific password to sign in to your account using third-party apps or services such as email, contacts, or calendar apps not provided by Apple. Follow these steps to generate an app-specific password:

1. Sign in to your Apple ID account page.
  2. Click Generate Password below App-Specific Passwords.
  3. Follow the steps on your screen.

After you generate your app-specific password, enter or paste it into the password field of the app as you would normally.

two factor verification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.