Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SHIFT KEY PROBLEM: KEY ACTING RANDOMLY AND INDEPENDANTLY AS WELL AS BEING STUCK

OTHER TIMES IT RANDOMLY SHIFTS ON AND OFF TO THE POINT WHERE IT ENABLES STICKY KEYS BY CLICKING 5 TIMES WITHOUT EVEN BEING NEAR MY MACBOOK> IS THERE ANY WAY TO FIX THE CONNECTION BETWEEN WHATEVER IS GOING ON UNDER THE SHIFT KEY TO CAUSE IT TO WORK SO ERRATICALLY? AT THIS TIME SHIFT IS ENABLED AS EVIDENCED BY MY TEXT. I HAVE EXAMINED MY SHIFT KEY PROBLEM BY USING THE KEYBOARD VIEWER THE ACCESSIBLE KEYBOARD AS WELL AS A BLUETOOTH MAGIC KEYBOARD> EVERYTHING WORKS FINE ON ALL THE OTHER KEYBOARDS EXCEPT THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO DEACTIVATE THE SHIFT FUNCTION REGARDLESS OF WHAT KEYBOARD IS USED> THEREFORE ALL CURSOR MOVES ON ANY KEYBOARD STILL BEHAVE WITH SHIFT ENABLED> NEEDLESS TO SAY< THE SHIFT KEY WILL SUDDENLY SWITCH OFF AT TIMES AS WELL AS ON> MOSTLY IT IS OPERATING WITHOUT TOUCHING THE SHIFT KEY AT ALL

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 6:36 AM

Maybe something got below the key and it is causing to make contact even though you are not pressing it.

I'd try blowing compressed air and see if it gets cleared. If you live near an Apple store I'd take the mac to be looked at.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 13, 2019 5:36 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

So i completely removed the shift key cover and nipple and white plastic holders. The shift key is acting exactly the same way, either repeatedly turning on and off in rapid succession, or getting stuck on, or moving into off mode. right now it's off. When i use the sticky key function, i am often able to reset the shift key back to off for a time, thought sometimes, enabling shift key also results in sticky key enabled and disabled rapidly due to shift key rapidly turning on and off.

My regret now, is in disabling my keyboard shift key i may have ruined a perfectly good keyboard. Why did taking the shift key nipple off not change a single thing? Does that mean my keyboard is ok, but the shift problem is caused by a software problem? Could it be a wired connection problem underneath the shift key perhaps?

Also, even though i press option the moment the apple logo shows up on boot, my computer today is only booting into safe mode. i am assuming the shift key is not enabled. in that case, only option is pressed. Whatever the case, i really want out of safe mode.

For clarity, my first question is why didn't removing the shift key nipple do anything whatsoever to affect the left shift key enabling and disabling ? My right shift key works normally. The left worked normally at times, (before i ruined the key) but then moved back into either being stuck on, or turning on and off rapidly. These three states alternate one after the other over and over.

SHIFT KEY PROBLEM: KEY ACTING RANDOMLY AND INDEPENDANTLY AS WELL AS BEING STUCK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.