Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't rip CDs previously downloaded from now-unsubscribed Apple Music

I'm running iTunes 12.9.5.5 on a MacBook Pro running macOS Mojave 10.14.5. I was previously subcribed to Apple Music and downloaded several albums from Apple Music. My Apple Music subscription expired on May 28, and I've subsequently purchased physical CDs of some of the albums I downloaded from Apple Music. But when I try to rip the CDs, iTunes puts them in the Apple Music folder (Music > iTunes > iTunes Media > Apple Music) and doesn't show them in the UI.

What do I have to do to get all evidence of Apple Music off my laptop so I can rip these CDs?

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 11:40 AM

Hi Thommy Joe,

I understand that you were previously subscribed to Apple Music and now you're attempting to import CD's of music you had previously downloaded through Apple Music to your iTunes library, but the songs are being sent to an Apple Music folder that doesn't show in your iTunes Library. I know it's important to have the music you're adding from CD's appear in your iTunes library; I'd like to help. I'd suggest trying the steps below:

• Remove Apple Music folder you're referring to and the contents it contains.
  • Open iTunes > Preferences, and verify iCloud Music Library and Apple Music are disabled.
  • Sign out of your Apple ID in iTunes through Account > Sign Out.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Open iTunes and sign in using Account > Sign in.
  • Try again to import the CD's to iTunes

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2019 11:40 AM in response to Thommy Joe

Hi Thommy Joe,

I understand that you were previously subscribed to Apple Music and now you're attempting to import CD's of music you had previously downloaded through Apple Music to your iTunes library, but the songs are being sent to an Apple Music folder that doesn't show in your iTunes Library. I know it's important to have the music you're adding from CD's appear in your iTunes library; I'd like to help. I'd suggest trying the steps below:

• Remove Apple Music folder you're referring to and the contents it contains.
  • Open iTunes > Preferences, and verify iCloud Music Library and Apple Music are disabled.
  • Sign out of your Apple ID in iTunes through Account > Sign Out.
  • Restart your Mac.
  • Open iTunes and sign in using Account > Sign in.
  • Try again to import the CD's to iTunes

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

Jul 6, 2019 3:41 PM in response to raina_b22

Thanks, Becky!

When I tried to import the first CD, I got an alert that said the songs had already been imported and did I want to replace them. I must've answered "yes, replace them", and iTunes recreated the Apple Music folder and put the files it ripped in that folder. I tried to import the CD a second time, without trashing the Apple Music folder, and answered the alert by saying I didn't want to replace the existing files, and the new files when into the Music folder, where they belong.

Thanks for solving my problem!

Can't rip CDs previously downloaded from now-unsubscribed Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.