Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Music you already paid for (not subscription) is no longer available on my Mac because I decided to no longer pay for a subscription that is no longer needed?

Let me get this straight, tonight I decided I wanted to listen an album I purchased from my Music library the album was purchased back before Apple switched to the subscription service. I upgraded to an M1 iMac and connected an external hard drive that I have all of my Music and Movies I have bought over the years dating back to at least 2010.

Per Apple instructions you have to hold down your option key when you first launch the Apple Music app if you want to have it point to your downloaded music library. Once you have done this as long as you keep the drive attached and powered on Apple MUSIC will find those files and all you have to do is play whatever song you like.

However, I discovered after doing this because I choose not to renew an Apple subscription to MUSIC I am no longer allowed to listen to the music I already bought years ago or even one that I may have paid for in say 2022, 2021, or even 2020? Again I need to make this perfectly clear I am NOT talking about albums that are only available on the subscription service.

If this is the case then Apple is double charging for music you already own, paid for free and clear. This would be like buying a music CD album from Walmart or Target coming home playing it a few times and then you decide to no longer shop at those stores and when you decided to play the CD again it no longer will play because you don't do business with them anymore! Am I understanding that this is what Apple is or has been doing since the roll out of Apple Music?

Someone please explain to me in PLAIN english when I should not expect to play any song I fully paid for to play on my iMac, iPhone as long as that music is still loaded on my external hard drive, this music has been paid for and all I am doing is point the Apple Music app to my library that I have had since 2010.

Further, while I understand that some of you may not have dealt with this kind of issue and some of you may not get what I am talking about. If you have no experience with this issue or have no helpful information, I simply ask you to NOT make any comments as I am trying to get this resolved.

[Edited by Moderator]

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2023 8:10 PM

So, I finally figured it out mostly on my own but I do want to thank everyone who chimed in. So, as I thought and had previously told the Apple Support Tech the music I was referring to that I was having an issue with was in fact purchased without a subscription. I made it very clear that the music I subscribe to was also not available but that wasn't my reason asking for help from Apple.

Apparently, in an attempt to fully explain my issue to the tech they only focused on the word Apple Music, ignoring all of the other information I had included. I guess in these days being detailed in explaining anything is lost on a lot of people. But, then when I attempted to break it down further that even what I thought a 10 year old could understand it was still lost. All they wanted to was point me to articles about not being able to listen to or access any of my music without a subscription.

So, further digging I saw a post in another form on here with basically the same issue I had just posted. And as I had said the person responding like you guys here also had agreed that music purchased through iTunes prior to Apple Music subscription should still be available and of course it would be wise to back up those files. Which I did being a long time owner of a Mac since 1991 I had all my ducks in a row, just could not figure out why when I clicked on a song it would not play and only the warning that I was no longer a subscriber would pop up.

To answer Lettermanian's question yes i had those files backup on my external drive the new Mac saw those files on the external drive as I use it for all of my media files - which reminds me, I was in fact able to play my movies that I have purchased just not the music. The read-write permissions were fine and no issues there. The only difference was I moved from an Intel iMac to an M1 iMac. same accounts, same Apple ID and went through the process of Authorizing the new iMac which in turn reported that I had already authorized it previously. So, I knew it was something else causing the Music app to refuse to play songs I had previously purchased.

Since none of the suggestions the Apple Support Rep worked and the fact they kept insisting that I had to have a subscription that clearly told me the Rep either didn't know what they were referring to or didn't understand my issue at all. Funny, as soon as I cut and pasted the article from this community did the Rep suddenly understand what I was saying. (SMH)

In the end, pointing the Music.app on my new iMac to the location of my library on my external drive did nothing it just sat there while I grew more upset. So, I opened my media folder while I had the Music.app open and just selected each album folder and dragged them to the Music.app screen and bam! Just like that all of my paid for album were available and played with no issue. It was pretty fast. I double checked my internal SSD to make sure I didn't accidentally copy all of my music back onto it, which I don't want since the external is much bigger drive.

So, with all of that B.S. I had to deal with Apple Support. with the help of you all I was able to figure out how to get the files to play like they did before I subscribed to Apple Music. I in no way wanted to have to redownload thousands of singles and albums again. I am glad I waked away and look at it with a fresher view.

Again, thanks folks - I think I will stick with you all instead of trying to get Apple Support to help sad because the days when I worked for them it seem Apple went out of their way to help you now days I guess its much easier to just throw articles at the customer and hoping one will stick. Thats what I get for buy Apple Care+ for my new iMac UGH LOL

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 12, 2023 8:10 PM in response to Lettermanian

So, I finally figured it out mostly on my own but I do want to thank everyone who chimed in. So, as I thought and had previously told the Apple Support Tech the music I was referring to that I was having an issue with was in fact purchased without a subscription. I made it very clear that the music I subscribe to was also not available but that wasn't my reason asking for help from Apple.

Apparently, in an attempt to fully explain my issue to the tech they only focused on the word Apple Music, ignoring all of the other information I had included. I guess in these days being detailed in explaining anything is lost on a lot of people. But, then when I attempted to break it down further that even what I thought a 10 year old could understand it was still lost. All they wanted to was point me to articles about not being able to listen to or access any of my music without a subscription.

So, further digging I saw a post in another form on here with basically the same issue I had just posted. And as I had said the person responding like you guys here also had agreed that music purchased through iTunes prior to Apple Music subscription should still be available and of course it would be wise to back up those files. Which I did being a long time owner of a Mac since 1991 I had all my ducks in a row, just could not figure out why when I clicked on a song it would not play and only the warning that I was no longer a subscriber would pop up.

To answer Lettermanian's question yes i had those files backup on my external drive the new Mac saw those files on the external drive as I use it for all of my media files - which reminds me, I was in fact able to play my movies that I have purchased just not the music. The read-write permissions were fine and no issues there. The only difference was I moved from an Intel iMac to an M1 iMac. same accounts, same Apple ID and went through the process of Authorizing the new iMac which in turn reported that I had already authorized it previously. So, I knew it was something else causing the Music app to refuse to play songs I had previously purchased.

Since none of the suggestions the Apple Support Rep worked and the fact they kept insisting that I had to have a subscription that clearly told me the Rep either didn't know what they were referring to or didn't understand my issue at all. Funny, as soon as I cut and pasted the article from this community did the Rep suddenly understand what I was saying. (SMH)

In the end, pointing the Music.app on my new iMac to the location of my library on my external drive did nothing it just sat there while I grew more upset. So, I opened my media folder while I had the Music.app open and just selected each album folder and dragged them to the Music.app screen and bam! Just like that all of my paid for album were available and played with no issue. It was pretty fast. I double checked my internal SSD to make sure I didn't accidentally copy all of my music back onto it, which I don't want since the external is much bigger drive.

So, with all of that B.S. I had to deal with Apple Support. with the help of you all I was able to figure out how to get the files to play like they did before I subscribed to Apple Music. I in no way wanted to have to redownload thousands of singles and albums again. I am glad I waked away and look at it with a fresher view.

Again, thanks folks - I think I will stick with you all instead of trying to get Apple Support to help sad because the days when I worked for them it seem Apple went out of their way to help you now days I guess its much easier to just throw articles at the customer and hoping one will stick. Thats what I get for buy Apple Care+ for my new iMac UGH LOL

Nov 12, 2023 6:55 PM in response to MobileMeKevin

Was your external drive the Music Library for a previous computer? If so I think you may have to give the new Mac permission to use that disk. Open finder, make sure the external drive is there. Right-click on the drive, then click on Get Info. Scroll down to the Sharing and Permissions section. Make sure your user name has Read and Write access under Privileges. After that you should be able to set it up as the new library for Apple Music on the iMac.

Apple Music plays all of my old music this way, as well as cd's from a cd drive, and I have never had a subscription. Hopefully you can get it working for you.

Music you already paid for (not subscription) is no longer available on my Mac because I decided to no longer pay for a subscription that is no longer needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.