Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does Apple Music subscription affect the music I own?

I've found a lot of questions about similar things, but none that will actually answer my specific question, so hopefully someone can help me out here—I just got a new MacBook Pro after having a mid-2013 one for many years, and my old iTunes files are all in folders of .m4a files. (I airdropped the original files manually, for reference—didn't use any of the migration features.)

Clicking the files opens/plays them in Apple Music. It would certainly be convenient to open them all in Apple Music, sort them into their respective albums, etc. so I can listen to them like I used to listen to iTunes.

However, I'm well aware by this point that my usage of Apple Music is a three-month free trial. My specific question is what does that mean? What will I lose access to? The ability to sort the files into albums and listen conveniently? The ability to open .m4a files at all, unless I download VLC Media Player or something? Is Apple Music somehow going to lock access to the files I owned before I ever tried to use it? Or do I still get to use the app for my own stuff, just without access to the online streaming service? I'd appreciate it if someone could clear this up.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2021 12:17 PM

Your music is always your music. If you discontinue Apple Music you will lose access to the Apple Music streaming catalog. And, if you synced your library, access to your own music in Apple Music.

Apple Music should not be confused with the Music App (which fundamentally performed just as iTunes did in the past).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2021 12:17 PM in response to clareurbanski

Your music is always your music. If you discontinue Apple Music you will lose access to the Apple Music streaming catalog. And, if you synced your library, access to your own music in Apple Music.

Apple Music should not be confused with the Music App (which fundamentally performed just as iTunes did in the past).

Nov 20, 2021 1:58 PM in response to muguy

Wait, so the app that's in my dock by default and is called "Music" is not the same thing as Apple Music? That clears up so much. All the official stuff refers to it as the "Apple Music app" and pushes you to subscribe to the service, so if they're separate or the app can be used without the subscription, there's not a lot of official documentation that makes an effort to clear that up.

How does Apple Music subscription affect the music I own?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.