Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Hide Alerts" on iPhone does not hide group messages on the Apple Watch

I have seen this problem discussed various times going back to 2015, so I'm not terribly hopeful, but here goes.

I have an iPhone XS Max, Apple Watch 4 (no cellular). Both using latest OS. Selecting "hide alerts" for an iMessage thread works to silence the notifications for both the iPhone and the Watch when there is only one other person. But if there are multiple people in the thread, the alerts are coming through on the watch. Of course, these group threads are the ones that tend to be high volume, and so my watch goes crazy whenever one of these threads starts up.

My watch is currently set to "Mirror my iPhone" for alerts. Clearly this is not happening for group messages. I have seen the suggestion to unpair the watch or even wipe it and reinstall everything, and frankly that seems like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Anyone found a solution?

Apple Watch Series 4, watchOS 5

Posted on Jul 5, 2019 3:30 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 8, 2019 9:58 AM in response to julieda

I'm aware that you can stop mirroring notifications, or just turn off notifications entirely for your watch. What I want to do is to make the notifications mirroring work properly--i.e., if I hide an alert for a particular message thread, it should hide it on both the iPhone and the watch. Currently this works for iMessage threads with only one other person, but not group threads. Customizing the notifications does not work if you only want to turn off notifications for particular message threads.

Jul 5, 2019 3:52 PM in response to kgrierson

Choose which notifications you get

You can customize the notifications for each app that you use with your Apple Watch. By default, your Apple Watch notifications mirror your iPhone settings. For example, if you set your iPhone Mail app to notify you only of VIP emails and your watch notifications mirror your iPhone, you'll see only VIP email notifications on your Apple Watch.

For built-in apps, you can choose which notifications you get:

Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.

Tap the My Watch tab, then tap Notifications.

Tap an app. If you want the app's notification settings to mirror settings on your iPhone, tap Mirror my iPhone. If you want to choose certain types of notifications to get on just your Apple Watch, tap Custom.

For third-party apps, you can turn off notifications. Scroll down to the Mirror iPhone Alerts From section and turn off the setting next to the app.

"Hide Alerts" on iPhone does not hide group messages on the Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.