Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turning-off 'silence when iPhone is locked'....?

(I tried to reply to an older post, but it was too old...)

This is a ridiculous feature, I've missed so many text messages due to not 'hearing' their notification because my phone's been locked (do-not-disturb has never been activated on my phone, if I need to not hear the phone ring, I just use the switch on the side - I don't appreciate this decision being made for me). I've been wondering how/why I haven't heard my text message notification sound sometimes, when my phone hasn't been in silent-mode, and now I know!! Why isn't there the option to turn off this 'silence'? I'm not going to leave my phone unlocked all the time, that's just not practical or realistic (especially when it's in a handbag) - is there something I'm missing, IS there a way around this??

So frustrating.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 6:35 PM

DND is turned off - BUT, that ticked option? I didn't select that, and it won't allow me to un-select it, the only other option is to 'silence always'. I don't want either of those options - or at the very least, I'd like them to be MY choice. Because that's selected, I'm missing text messages and other notifications when my phone is locked because I'm not hearing them (all of my notification settings are fine, coming to this forum was my last resort). There are a million times when it's necessary to have my phone locked - why is it necessary for notifications to be silenced during those times? If my phone's in my bag, I want to hear it when I get a message etc. I realise that I can choose to have phonecalls go through, but that doesn't fix my particular issue. If I want/need my phone to be silenced, I use the mute button.

I suppose I just want someone from Apple to tell me that no, you can't turn that feature off and to suck eggs, or that yes, it's a simple fix here you go.... but it's an hour drive to the nearest Apple store hahaha

I'm a long time iPhone user, except for the past year or so when I tried Samsung, never had this issue before.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2019 6:35 PM in response to KiltedTim

DND is turned off - BUT, that ticked option? I didn't select that, and it won't allow me to un-select it, the only other option is to 'silence always'. I don't want either of those options - or at the very least, I'd like them to be MY choice. Because that's selected, I'm missing text messages and other notifications when my phone is locked because I'm not hearing them (all of my notification settings are fine, coming to this forum was my last resort). There are a million times when it's necessary to have my phone locked - why is it necessary for notifications to be silenced during those times? If my phone's in my bag, I want to hear it when I get a message etc. I realise that I can choose to have phonecalls go through, but that doesn't fix my particular issue. If I want/need my phone to be silenced, I use the mute button.

I suppose I just want someone from Apple to tell me that no, you can't turn that feature off and to suck eggs, or that yes, it's a simple fix here you go.... but it's an hour drive to the nearest Apple store hahaha

I'm a long time iPhone user, except for the past year or so when I tried Samsung, never had this issue before.

Jul 6, 2019 6:42 AM in response to KiltedTim

I'm getting notifications, they're just silent...so I don't know I'm getting them unless I'm sitting looking at my phone...the DND is turned-off, but it's the 'silence while iPhone is locked' feature that's bugging me. I lock my phone while it's in my bag. on my desk at work etc, and so incoming calls/notifications are silenced. Very frustrating...

Jul 6, 2019 2:42 PM in response to Lisafrommedina

When DND is turned on, it can silence all alerts or silence alerts only while the phone is locked. If it is turned off, as it is in the screen shot, then it's off. It doesn't matter which of the options you've selected. You can not not select an option at all.

Check Settings > Notifications. Make sure you've actually enabled notifications for the alerts you're not hearing. Also make sure the volume is turned up and the mute switch on the side of the phone isn't enabled.

If you're connected to a bluetooth device that does A2DP audio streaming, all alerts will be sent to that bluetooth device and will not also sound on the phone.

Jul 6, 2019 6:41 PM in response to Lisafrommedina

You don't seem to be getting it... Of those two options one must be selected. Neither of them takes effect unless DND is turned on, which it is not.

DND is NOT the reason you're not getting the notifications.

That setting has absolutely nothing to do with your problem.

Stop worrying about that. You're beating a dead horse. Instead of continuing to do so, why don't you actually try to find the cause of your problem, i.e. not getting notifications.

Turning-off 'silence when iPhone is locked'....?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.