Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring my data to a "new" 4s

Hi - hoping for rescue!

I m restoring my old iPhone 4 onto a "new" 4s. it wont start the restore because it is asking for a password. I have entered:

1. My iTunes password
  2. The password for the old iPhone 4
  3. The "new" iPhone 4s doesn't have a password.

Any help very welcome.

RoGos

iPhone 4s, iOS 9

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 12:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 1:38 PM

Oopsssss, that a big problem.

After iOS 11, if you can't remember that password, but you still have your old iphone, you can make a new encrypted backup, using a different password (see this guide, at section "If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup"):---> About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

But, unfortunately, you can't do it using an older iOS version.

That's a difficult situation... can you create a new full backup using iCloud and try to restore data from there?

Giulio

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 6, 2019 1:38 PM in response to RoGos

Oopsssss, that a big problem.

After iOS 11, if you can't remember that password, but you still have your old iphone, you can make a new encrypted backup, using a different password (see this guide, at section "If you can’t remember the password for your encrypted backup"):---> About encrypted backups in iTunes - Apple Support

But, unfortunately, you can't do it using an older iOS version.

That's a difficult situation... can you create a new full backup using iCloud and try to restore data from there?

Giulio

Transferring my data to a "new" 4s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.