Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Password to restore iPhone 7 from computer

I am trying to restore my iPhone7 from my computer asfter Verizon chat support had me backup and then reset my iPhone to factory settings. Now, when I try to restore my phone, it keeps asking for a password. It will not accept anything I input. Is my iTunes password the same as the one I use to sign into my Apple ID? I've tried every password I can think of and it will not accept anything.

iPhone 7

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 7:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 5, 2021 7:55 PM

are you talking about the password for the encrypted backup?

That is not the same as your Apple ID password (unless that's how you set it up)

Unfortunately, if you cannot recall that password, then you won't be able to use the backup.

As far as I know, you get as many guesses as you need. it doesn't lock you out.

So try your commonly used passwords?

you can reset the password for future backups, instructions in this link

About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 5, 2021 7:55 PM in response to BillKas

are you talking about the password for the encrypted backup?

That is not the same as your Apple ID password (unless that's how you set it up)

Unfortunately, if you cannot recall that password, then you won't be able to use the backup.

As far as I know, you get as many guesses as you need. it doesn't lock you out.

So try your commonly used passwords?

you can reset the password for future backups, instructions in this link

About encrypted backups on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Feb 5, 2021 8:12 PM in response to Chris0107

Hi Chris. I never selected "encrypted backup." I always have selected the "backup to this computer" button but no encryption. When I began this process today, I was asked for a password. I do not recall every being asked for a password to run a backup of my iPhone. So, naturally, I couldn't remember a password and I went through the process of creating a new one. That was the one I used to sign in to my Apple ID and I was allowed to run my backup. Then, once I restored my phone to its factory settings, I began the process of setting up the phone. When it came to asking where I wanted to restore from, I selcted PC. It told me to plug in and I did. I tried a few times and it did nothing. I tried restoring from iCloud (which I don't ever remember selecting but I figured it was worth a try). It said I didn't have an account but suddenly all of my contacts were back. And this was after I skipped the restore and selected to start as a new phone. Suddenly my contacts were back (whew!). Again I plugged my phone into my PC and tried to restore. It was at this point, when I selected which backup to use, that it asked me for a password. Again, I've never selected "encrypt." I entered the password that I had created earlier to begin this whole process and it said it was wrong. I tried o others that I'd created in the past (though I never recall using for Apple ID) and nothing works. I'm wondering why it asked for a passwrod to begin the backup, but will not accept the same password for the restore.

Feb 5, 2021 8:21 PM in response to BillKas

encrypted backups cannot turn itself on.. and that password cannot generate itself..

At some point in the past, you had to have selected to encrypt your iPhone backups.

This is not something that would be prompted every time you back up your iPhone.

It was only prompted when the box was first checked. Could have been years ago..

Again, this is completely separate from your Apple ID

The reason your contacts were restored is you must have been syncing your contacts in iCloud.

Feb 5, 2021 8:53 PM in response to BillKas

If you make a backup and that box is unchecked.. as far as I know, it should not require a password to restore from that particular backup.

If you are concerned about it, maybe it'd be best to check that box and then change the password. Making sure to do whatever you do to remember your passwords (password manager?)

Are you using a Mac? If so and you are using newer macOS, I believe it offers to store the password in iCloud Keychain..

Password to restore iPhone 7 from computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.