Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac on High Sierra has ground to a halt after loading Adobe Lightroom

Hi

I have a Mid 2011 iMac running 10.13.6 High Sierra, which we just upgraded to 16gb of RAM. It was running extremely well, able to work simultaneously in three large Adobe programs...UNTIL I downloaded and installed Lightroom CC. I started consolidating a LOT of photos, and it quickly filled up the internal 500 gb HD, so I moved the catalogue over to a 2TB external drive and deleted it on the internal boot drive. But the machine seems to have gone into shock; Finder is very slow or unable to execute commands, and large programs are not loading at all.

I ran First Aid, which reported no problems. I ran Etrecheck, which shows "below average." Copy attached. I really do not know how to read these -- and humbly submit it here in the hopes that someone out there can take a look and let me know if there's a problem I can fix. It's on hourly Time Machine back-ups, so I can if necessary wipe the drive, maybe upgrade to Mojave and thin out some of the applications. I tried to list those here, but the list won't copy -- it is huge. There was a weird quirk when I went to load the list of apps: the system profiler took forever, and there are TWO of every app. There are two users who use this machine, with separate accounts -- maybe I somehow duplicated all the apps? Or

Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand. This has gummed up some very creative work that I really need to get back to!

Rob

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 85.0.0.0.0

SMC Version (system): 1.71f22

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2019 7:11 PM

It's been 3 days since it was booted. Boot into Safe Mode then reset the NVRAM and then test. Instructions for both are in:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

PRAM and NVRAM Reset

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 6, 2019 5:24 PM in response to Rob Wilson

I don't see anything that jumps out at me from your Etrecheck report. I'd check with Adobe Support about the problem with Lightroom CC.

Your biggest bottleneck is the slow 4500 rpm rotational drive.

I'd suggest creating a new user account and see if that works as expected:

If that functionals normally then it's probably some thing in your Home folder and we can troubleshoot that.

If not, I'd try backing up, wiping the disk and doing a clean install. Or, wiping the disk and revert from a time machine backup or a clone from a time before the problem occurred

iMac on High Sierra has ground to a halt after loading Adobe Lightroom

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.