Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 27" late 2013 way too slow

My iMac started slowing down a couple of years ago until it is currently unusable. There is 451GB space left on the 1TB, and it has a 2X4GB DDR3 cards. I use icloud for everything. I do have more than 100K photos but since I use cloud photos I don't think it is what's keeping it slow. A couple of years ago I use external hard drives to back things up when we moved. I ran an Etrecheck and the major issues were Time Machine backup not found and Adobe flash player installed. I know this is not a unique problem but I couldn't find an straightforward solution through reading here. Can anyone help please? Etrecheck below

EtreCheckPro version: 6.3.6 (6D029)

Report generated: 2021-01-24 12:45:59

Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 7:28

Performance: Below Average

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Adobe Flash Player installed - Adobe Flash Player is installed on this computer. This is a security risk and no longer supported.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. Apple has said that unsigned software will not run by default in a future version of the operating system.

System modifications - There are a large number of system modifications running in the background.

Low performance - EtreCheck report took an unusually long time to run.

Vintage hardware - This computer may be considered vintage.

32-bit Apps - This computer has 32-bits apps will not work on current versions of the operating system.

Kernel extensions present - This computer has kernel extensions that may not work in the future.

Sharing enabled - This computer has sharing services enabled that could be a security risk.

Hardware Information:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) - Vintage!

iMac Model: iMac14,2

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-4570) CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM - Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 

BANK 0/DIMM1 - Empty 

BANK 1/DIMM1 - Empty 

Video Information:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M - VRAM: 1 GB

iMac 2560 x 1440

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE HDD ST1000DM003 1.00 TB (Mechanical - 7200 RPM)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 [APFS Container] 1000.00 GB

disk1 [APFS Virtual drive] 1000.00 GB (Shared by 5 volumes)

disk1s1 - Macintosh HD - Data (APFS) [APFS Virtual drive] (Shared - 801.70 GB used)

disk1s2 - Preboot (APFS) [APFS Preboot] (Shared - 83 MB used)

disk1s3 - Recovery (APFS) [Recovery] (Shared - 529 MB used)

disk1s4 - VM (APFS) [APFS VM] (Shared - 4.30 GB used)

disk1s5 - Macintosh HD (APFS) (Shared - 11.32 GB used)

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2021 6:38 AM

Hi samira61,

Thank you for the EtreCheck report. In your report, it says MacKeeper is installed. This is bad malware. There are two ways to proceed:

1. Download Malwarebytes. It will clean up your Mac. Malwarebytes is a free and trusted macOS Anti-Malware.
  2. (What I would Do) Erase and reinstall macOS. This will solve all your issues, probably even the slow performance.

If you are going to proceed with option 2, understand EVERYTHING will be erased. Please create a backup, but I would not reccomend backing up with Time Machine, as you have Malware. Time Machine could potentially just backup the Malware. Use iCloud or copy and paste data manually to an external hard drive.

1. Backup all DATA! When you do this, all your data will be erased! This action cannot be undone! Make sure your are comfortable with where your data is stored besides the Mac. In this case, since you have Malware, use iCloud or an external hard drive, and copy and paste data. See this article How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support
  2. Go to System Preferences, and then Apple ID. Turn off Find My Mac, then sign out of your Apple ID.
  3. Restart the Mac, then when you hear the startup chime, or the screen lights up, immediately press and hold Option + Command + R. Option + Command + R will give you the latest and greatest macOS that your Mac can support. 
  4. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to a WiFi network in the top right corner, and verify your are in macOS Catalina Recovery. You can tell by the "Reinstall macOS" logo.
  5. Then go to Disk Utility.
  6. Click the “View” button in the top toolbar and select “Show All Devices.”
  7. Select the main hard drive name, not your volumes. For example, select APPLE HDD, APPLE SSD, or Fusion Drive instead of “Macintosh HD.” It will be the top item.
  8. Click erase, and input the following EXACTLY:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: APFS

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase

Now, let's reinstall macOS.

1. Quit Disk Utility.
  2. Open the macOS Catalina Installer.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions and select Macintosh HD as your disk to install to.
  4. Let the process finish, don’t restart, sleep, or shut down your Mac. Also don’t disconnect from WiFi.
  5. Let the process finish; then setup your Mac, and restore your data. For iCloud data, sign into your Apple ID and download data from iCloud. If you copy and pasted your data to an external hard drive, copy and paste the data back. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jack

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 24, 2021 6:38 AM in response to samira61

Hi samira61,

Thank you for the EtreCheck report. In your report, it says MacKeeper is installed. This is bad malware. There are two ways to proceed:

1. Download Malwarebytes. It will clean up your Mac. Malwarebytes is a free and trusted macOS Anti-Malware.
  2. (What I would Do) Erase and reinstall macOS. This will solve all your issues, probably even the slow performance.

If you are going to proceed with option 2, understand EVERYTHING will be erased. Please create a backup, but I would not reccomend backing up with Time Machine, as you have Malware. Time Machine could potentially just backup the Malware. Use iCloud or copy and paste data manually to an external hard drive.

1. Backup all DATA! When you do this, all your data will be erased! This action cannot be undone! Make sure your are comfortable with where your data is stored besides the Mac. In this case, since you have Malware, use iCloud or an external hard drive, and copy and paste data. See this article How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support
  2. Go to System Preferences, and then Apple ID. Turn off Find My Mac, then sign out of your Apple ID.
  3. Restart the Mac, then when you hear the startup chime, or the screen lights up, immediately press and hold Option + Command + R. Option + Command + R will give you the latest and greatest macOS that your Mac can support. 
  4. Once you are in macOS Recovery, verify you are connected to a WiFi network in the top right corner, and verify your are in macOS Catalina Recovery. You can tell by the "Reinstall macOS" logo.
  5. Then go to Disk Utility.
  6. Click the “View” button in the top toolbar and select “Show All Devices.”
  7. Select the main hard drive name, not your volumes. For example, select APPLE HDD, APPLE SSD, or Fusion Drive instead of “Macintosh HD.” It will be the top item.
  8. Click erase, and input the following EXACTLY:

Name: Macintosh HD

Format: APFS

Scheme: GUID Partition Map

Click Erase

Now, let's reinstall macOS.

1. Quit Disk Utility.
  2. Open the macOS Catalina Installer.
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions and select Macintosh HD as your disk to install to.
  4. Let the process finish, don’t restart, sleep, or shut down your Mac. Also don’t disconnect from WiFi.
  5. Let the process finish; then setup your Mac, and restore your data. For iCloud data, sign into your Apple ID and download data from iCloud. If you copy and pasted your data to an external hard drive, copy and paste the data back. 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jack

Jan 24, 2021 6:20 AM in response to samira61

Start by uninstalling MacKeeper. Active-scanning 3rd party security software always slows system performance by sinking hooks in to monitor activity, and the built in MacOS security is good enough that most users don't need it.

Tip: use the developer's uninstaller or uninstall instructions. Simply dragging to trash may leaves secondary pieces still running.

Second your hard drive is running unusually slow. If uninstalling MacKeeper isn't enough you may wish to reinstall MacOS onto an external USB 3 SSD.

Jan 24, 2021 7:28 AM in response to samira61

Yes, MacKeeper is a major issue. It was so bad that, when the Russian developers could not sell enough, they started sneaking it onto computers using adware and clickbait. Rather insidious.

My concern is your hard drive:

Performance:

System Load: 2.41 (1 min ago) 1.79 (5 min ago) 1.43 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 1.62 MB/s

File system: 31.95 seconds

Write speed: 48 MB/s

Read speed: 64 MB/s

We have a 2011 iMac with the same drive specs (7200rpm; 3GB/sec bus) and its write/read speeds are much higher:

Performance:

System Load: 1.62 (1 min ago) 1.67 (5 min ago) 1.87 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.05 MB/s

File system: 38.28 seconds

Write speed:  112 MB/s

Read speed:  91 MB/s

Yours should be able to make those speeds. It still will not be super-speedy but will be better than it is today.

If is very possible that MacKeeper is dragging down drive performance. I have seen it before with other useless utilities. Post a new report so we can see if MacKeeper is fully ejected and we can also see if that helped the drive performance a the same time.

The 2012 and newer iMacs are very hard to service/upgrade internally due to a sealed-case design. If evicting the scamware does not help, we still have another option to offer.

Jan 25, 2021 1:23 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you! The strange thing is it was this slow before MacKeeper. I only purchased MacKeeper because I thought it will improve the performance, and it wasn't that different before and after. So logically it will not make it better. I will still remove it of course now that I have learned it's malware. I just deleted the app. I am sure it won't be as easy as that. But I'll give this an hour of my day today to look through all the advice and post. Many thanks again.

Jan 25, 2021 1:27 AM in response to Jack-19

Jack, many thanks for this, I will try today and let you know. Quick question, I have 2TB on icloud and I have set it up to store all my docs, photos, music, etc...I believe this is enough no? It is not called backup, but i know everything is on the cloud as I can see it on all my devices. I will research this a bit or wait for your response before I wipe it clean.

BTW it was acting same before MacKeeper, I bought MacKeeper because I thought it would solve the issue...now I feel quite silly.

Thanks for the above.

S.

iMac 27" late 2013 way too slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.