Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can someone please advise - Etrecheck report - its long!

Just helped a friend run an Etrecheck report on her painfully slow/beachballing iMac. Could someone please have a look and advise if there is any way to speed it up?

EtreCheck version: 6.3.2 (6D017)

Report generated: 2020-09-29 11:10:28

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 8:15

Performance: Below Average

Problem: Computer is too slow

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention.

No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

Gatekeeper disabled - Gatekeeper security protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems.

Unsigned files - There is unsigned software installed. They appear to be legitimate but should be reviewed.

Low performance - EtreCheck report took over 5 minutes to run. This is unusual.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps that may have problems in the future.

Hardware Information:

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013)

iMac Model: iMac14,1

1 2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 (i5-4570R) CPU: 4-core

8 GB RAM - Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 ok

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 ok

Video Information:

Intel Iris Pro - VRAM: 1536 MB

iMac 1920 x 1080

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS541010A9E662 1.00 TB (Mechanical)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

S.M.A.R.T. Status: 

disk0s1 (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 [APFS Container] 1000.00 GB

disk1 [] 1000.00 GB

disk1s1 (APFS) [] 1000.00 GB (139.96 GB used)

disk1s2 (APFS) [] 1000.00 GB (79 MB used)

disk1s3 (APFS) [] 1000.00 GB (529 MB used)

disk1s4 (APFS) [] 1000.00 GB (4.30 GB used)

disk1s5 (APFS) 1000.00 GB (11.30 GB used)

Mounted Volumes:

disk1s1 [] 1000.00 GB (843.62 GB free)

APFS

Mount point: 

disk1s4 [] 1000.00 GB (843.62 GB free)

APFS

Mount point: 

disk1s5 1000.00 GB (843.62 GB free)

APFS

Mount point: 

Network:

Interface Bluetooth-Modem: Bluetooth DUN

Interface en0: Ethernet

Interface en1: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n/ac

Interface en4: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

iCloud Quota: 2.43 GB available

System Software:

macOS Catalina 10.15.6 (19G2021) 

Time since boot: Less than an hour

System Load: 2.54 (1 min ago) 2.06 (5 min ago) 1.54 (15 min ago)

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2020 10:14 AM

I see, please let her know it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when she will lose irreplaceable data. I learned the hard way too and now I make sure I have redundant backups, why because a backup EHD can fail too!

Similar questions

12 replies

Oct 13, 2020 8:41 AM in response to eliselady

Please read my original post, I think that may be the solution to your issue.

Also, I don't see any evidence you are backing up the computer. PLEASE do not make that mistake, not backing up ANY computer is a guarantee of lost data. We see it everyday on these forums where users lose their photos, important financial info, and other documents. Using Time Machine is extremely simple and only requires that you have a dedicated external HD, most experienced users on these forums recommend one of the following:

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-mercury-elite-pro , in your case I would get the 2TB model.

If for some reason you were not aware of Time Machine please review https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

Oct 13, 2020 8:11 AM in response to eliselady

Although I fully agree with the others based on a long history here of slow iMac hard drives, we still cannot see all the useful data that EtreCheck provides, including hard data on drive performance. I would hate to send you out for a solution without making sure we have at least checked all the boxes.

In addition to missing pieces, some formatting is scrambled making it harder to read the report.

Please look at these instruction for getting the entire report displayed, especially the part about avoid scrambled formatting:

Run Etrecheck, select “Report" from the left-hand pane (scroll down to the bottom of that pane to find):

When its report displays, click the "Share Report" icon from EtreCheck’s toolbar and then "Copy report” from the resulting dropdown.

⚠️ Please DO NOT highlight the text in the report before using Etrecheck’s “Copy report” command—that will scramble the formatting and make the report much harder to evaluate.

NOTE: Changes in late 2018 to the forum software require you use the “Additional Text" icon (see example below) to embed the report into a post:

Paste the report into the resulting “Additional Text” window:

Oct 13, 2020 7:56 AM in response to eliselady

That was only a partial report. The primary problem is you likely bought the computer based on it's low price and not based on your needs. Your machine has only 8GB of RAM that is not user upgradeable and a glacially slow 5400 RPM HD. The only thing you can do to make it quicker is to buy an external USB 3 SSD and then clone the internal HD using either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to the SSD. Then restart holding down the Option key and select the SSD. The change the SSD to be your startup drive. You can then use the internal HD as additional storage.

Can someone please advise - Etrecheck report - its long!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.