Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions on a Network

I'm hoping you can help me, a friend of mine is trying to set up an older (2009) MacBook Pro to access and edit Word documents on a new (2018) MacBook Pro. I set up a "sharing only" account on the newer computer that the old computer could use to access it and made the permissions read and write on the folder.

The problem is that if I edit a file on EITHER computer, the other one looses edit access. Once I re-apply the permissions to the folder it fixes it, but then I edit it again, and the other computer looses write access again. Am I missing something?

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 6:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2019 7:17 PM

What you are missing is the benefits of Group permissions.

There are three sets of permissions for files; Owner, Group, World (everyone)

You need to be certain all Editors are members of the same Group, and give the files Group Read&Write permissions of the specific group.

The way you set this up on the Mac sharing the files may seems backward -- you create the Group, then add Users as members to the group

macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

scroll down to "create a group".

If you set up the entire folder that way, you can get new files to inherit the group permissions of the folder they are created in.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2019 7:17 PM in response to Donnutt

What you are missing is the benefits of Group permissions.

There are three sets of permissions for files; Owner, Group, World (everyone)

You need to be certain all Editors are members of the same Group, and give the files Group Read&Write permissions of the specific group.

The way you set this up on the Mac sharing the files may seems backward -- you create the Group, then add Users as members to the group

macOS Sierra: Set up users, guests, and groups on your Mac

scroll down to "create a group".

If you set up the entire folder that way, you can get new files to inherit the group permissions of the folder they are created in.

Permissions on a Network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.