Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud issues: "Unable to sign in" on AppleTV

Everytime I go to sign into iCloud on AppleTV, I get an error message that says, "Unable to sign in. Could not communicate with the server." For more information, go to http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/." However, I can't seem to find any information on how I can troubleshoot and solve this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this issue and were you able to fix it?

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on Jul 8, 2019 5:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 4:24 PM

Hi AllanM88,

The suggestion you made works! I also had trouble logging on my iCloud account for my Apple TV (Gen 3). It stated "Unable to sign in. Could not communicate with the server." I knew the username and password were correct.

After taking your suggestion on getting the verification code and adding it to my password, it worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing the information and saving everyone time!

California Chipmunk

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 4:24 PM in response to AllanM88

Hi AllanM88,

The suggestion you made works! I also had trouble logging on my iCloud account for my Apple TV (Gen 3). It stated "Unable to sign in. Could not communicate with the server." I knew the username and password were correct.

After taking your suggestion on getting the verification code and adding it to my password, it worked like a charm. Thanks for sharing the information and saving everyone time!

California Chipmunk

Jul 10, 2019 8:29 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Thanks @Alex_h1 for your response.

I should have clarified that all the basic troubleshooting steps were taken such as:

• Apple TV was plugged in and turned on
  • Internet connection was plugged directly to modem via Network cable and working (checked other apps to make sure the connection and upload/download speed was good)
  • I signed out and successfully signed back into my Apple ID account on all my other devices (iPhone, iPad, iMac, Macbook)
  • All my devices have been updated to the most current OS software release including my Apple TV

SOLUTION

After trying a few things, I determined that it is the (now mandatory) "two-step sign in verification" process that was causing the issue because Apple TV (2nd Gen) does not support two-step verification in the way other devices do. However, I figured out that if you request a verification code from another device, you can add that number to the end of your password and the Apple server accepts that and allows you to sign in.

For example, if your verification code is: 1-2-3-4 and your password Apple ID is: "password", then you combine the verification and your password and enter "password1234".

I hope this answer can help others who have the same issue now that Apple has made two-step verification mandatory across all devices (including older ones). Thanks again!

Jul 9, 2019 4:09 PM in response to AllanM88

Hi AllanM88,

Thank you for visiting Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having trouble signing in on your Apple TV. I'd be happy to provide information that may help.

First, make sure you have an internet connection. If you're connected to the internet already and have access to a different internet connection, you can rule out network-related issues by connecting to the alternate network temporarily.

If you've been able to rule out a network issue, try signing in to your Apple ID here: Apple ID. If you're able to sign in there, that indicates that the problem isn't with your Apple ID account.

If you're still having trouble after taking those steps, please reply with whether or not you've ever been able to sign in successfully on your Apple TV.

Take care!

iCloud issues: "Unable to sign in" on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.