Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Update incomplete, unable to boot

So in essence I upgraded my Mojave macOS. I was under the impression that I had sufficient enough storage to complete this task. Midway through the installation a pop up informed me that I was unable to complete the installation due to not having enough storage space. I’ve checked on disk utility and can see that all my files etc are still located on the drive but I’m unable to boot into it. 

Is there a way where I can either;

• delete certain files off HD via terminal to complete the installation
  • go back to my previous operating system
  • any other options? 

And yes, I was stupid enough to not backup my hard disk prior to installation

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 7:50 PM

• any other options? 

Yes. Boot recovery mode and determine if you can restore a "Local Snapshot" of the previous installation:

1. Boot macOS Recovery.
  2. At the Mac OS Utilities screen, select "Restore From Time Machine Backup" then Continue. A Restore from Time Machine screen will appear. Read it then Continue.
  3. When the Select a Restore Source screen appears, select the internal disk. Its default name is "Macintosh HD" but you may have changed it. Continue.
  4. The Select a Local Snapshot screen appears next. Restore From > Local Snapshots on Macintosh HD (or whatever you named its startup disk) will appear in the dropdown menu selection.
  5. If a Local Snapshot Date & Time list populates, select the most recent one. Continue.
  6. A confirmation dialog will appear. Read it then Continue.
  7. A Restoring screen will appear next. That operation won't take long.
  8. A Success screen will appear next, and the Mac will restart.

If Step 4 above is not an option for you (due to never having turned on Time Machine), you can select Terminal from the Utilities menu and possibly proceed to delete files.

Another thought is to boot Safe Mode which first performs a cursory directory verification and repair, and it also deletes certain cache files maintained by the system, which might recover just enough space to proceed with the installation.

If that doesn't work then attempt to reinstall macOS using that option from the macOS Utilities screen.

If all else fails... the good news is that your files appear to be present and intact, so the only obstacle to overcome is to boot that Mac from some other device. You may need to purchase an external hard disk drive and install macOS on it, using the same reinstall macOS procedure. To install macOS on that disk select it in the Show All Disks button that appears. You'll just need to format it first using Disk Utility.

Then, when you eventually recover from the shock of having almost lost everything on that Mac, by all means use that new external hard disk drive for Time Machine and start using it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2019 7:50 PM in response to Marcv-88

• any other options? 

Yes. Boot recovery mode and determine if you can restore a "Local Snapshot" of the previous installation:

1. Boot macOS Recovery.
  2. At the Mac OS Utilities screen, select "Restore From Time Machine Backup" then Continue. A Restore from Time Machine screen will appear. Read it then Continue.
  3. When the Select a Restore Source screen appears, select the internal disk. Its default name is "Macintosh HD" but you may have changed it. Continue.
  4. The Select a Local Snapshot screen appears next. Restore From > Local Snapshots on Macintosh HD (or whatever you named its startup disk) will appear in the dropdown menu selection.
  5. If a Local Snapshot Date & Time list populates, select the most recent one. Continue.
  6. A confirmation dialog will appear. Read it then Continue.
  7. A Restoring screen will appear next. That operation won't take long.
  8. A Success screen will appear next, and the Mac will restart.

If Step 4 above is not an option for you (due to never having turned on Time Machine), you can select Terminal from the Utilities menu and possibly proceed to delete files.

Another thought is to boot Safe Mode which first performs a cursory directory verification and repair, and it also deletes certain cache files maintained by the system, which might recover just enough space to proceed with the installation.

If that doesn't work then attempt to reinstall macOS using that option from the macOS Utilities screen.

If all else fails... the good news is that your files appear to be present and intact, so the only obstacle to overcome is to boot that Mac from some other device. You may need to purchase an external hard disk drive and install macOS on it, using the same reinstall macOS procedure. To install macOS on that disk select it in the Show All Disks button that appears. You'll just need to format it first using Disk Utility.

Then, when you eventually recover from the shock of having almost lost everything on that Mac, by all means use that new external hard disk drive for Time Machine and start using it.

Jul 9, 2019 7:39 PM in response to Marcv-88

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

To start up from macOS Recovery, turn on your Mac and immediately press and hold one of the following combinations on your keyboard. Command-R is generally recommended, especially if you never installed macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later.

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

MacOS Update incomplete, unable to boot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.