Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set default web browser in IOS 12 for 6th gen iPad

Hello,

I have an iPad (6th gen) with iOS 12.3.1 installed. I have both Google Chrome and the native Safari browser is installed. I have both the Google Gmail app and the regular native email app. I use the Gmail app specifically for the email that I use for my jobhunting. I would like my default browser to be Safari but the problem I am running into is when I use the Gmail app and click on links from job alerts I get sent from various job search sites it automatically opens Google Chrome which can be a hassle with the way some of these sites are designed.

I would like to find a way to tell my iPad to either use Safari as my default browser for links that are clicked on or have it ask me (I am doubting that particular feature is available other than on a windows 10 computer). Does anybody know if there is someplace in the settings that I can designate to the iOS to use Safari as my default browser? I just want to remind you this is not on a Mac this is on an iPad with iOS 12. I only reiterate that because I saw an old question from 2018 where somebody asked this exact question and the reply they got was somebody telling them how to do it on a Mac.

All replies and suggestions are appreciated.

Sincerely, Wonder Woman

iPad, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2019 8:47 PM

That's how Gmail app default to.

A workaround is to configure your Gmail account in Apple native Mail app.

Once working you can delete Chrome and Gmail app.

FWIW, I have Gmail account in my iPad's native Mail app and I don't use Chrome, only Safari.

1 reply

How to set default web browser in IOS 12 for 6th gen iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.