Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorted sound from bluetooth speaker

Since replacing my iPhone 5s with a Xs, playing music by bluetooth to a UE Mobile Boombox sounds distorted. It sounds like the bit rate of the files is lower than it really is - there is a "cutting off" of notes that should decay slowly, the low level detail (cymbals etc) is degraded - as if the quality of the sound is being reduced by the bluetooth process in a way it wasn't when I had the old phone.

Does this make any sense at all, or is it just the speaker malfunctioning? I used to enjoy the sound from the speaker, it was impressive for its size, but now it's hard to listen to. Bit worried that buying a new speaker won't solve the problem as it only started happening when I changed phones.

iPhone XS, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 2:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 2:59 AM

Here are a few tips:

1) Make sure that your iPhone is not in any Developer or Public iOS Betas.

2) Make sure that your iPhone is updated to the latest stable version.

3) Try restarting your device

4) Try resetting your speaker

5) Buy a new speaker

6) Contact support

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 10, 2019 3:26 AM in response to FinTGM

I've now tried using the speaker with my MacBook Air and established that it is using SBC not AAC, at least with the MacBook (can't find that info on the iPhone). So I'm wondering whether this is causing the distortion and if the speaker can't handle AAC, then that's the end of the story. Still puzzled why I only noticed this after changing phones.

Jul 10, 2019 2:01 PM in response to deggie

Yes, I have Sony bluetooth headphones that sound fine. I'm puzzled because playing the same music on both devices, the sound on the UE Mobile Boombox is noticeably different from on the headphones: more sibilant and brash but also slightly woolly. It's obviously possible something is up with the speaker, but it did sound fine with my old 5s.

Distorted sound from bluetooth speaker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.