Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Volume issues with new iPhone xr

I had a similar problem with my 6s, when I use the side up button to increase or decrease my ringer when my phone is unlocked, it only adjusts the volume. To adjust the ringer I have to go to settings each time to do it. Really frustrating.

Also, my alarm will often ring with no sound.

And lastly, when trying to use video (once or twice it’s happened to pictures too) it’ll blur out and I can’t video anything.

My phone is new, has lots of space, and is up to date.

What is up?!

Thanks in advance

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 10, 2019 10:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 7:07 AM

Hey, annalisa96.

I see that you're having a couple of issues with your iPhone XR. When you use the side button to raise and lower the volume of the ringtone you’re using, it doesn't work. You have to go into the settings to correct this. It seems to also affect the sound of your alarms as well. You also note that you can't record a video since they come out blurry, and I'm glad to help.

Adjust the volume on iPhone -- Go to settings > Sounds & Haptics, and make sure that "Change with Buttons" is on. See if this adjust the sound of the ringtones you're using. Also check that the volume of your alarm is high enough.

If the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working -- This article provides the information and steps that you need when the camera on your iPhone isn't working as expected.

Take care.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 11, 2019 7:07 AM in response to annalisa96

Hey, annalisa96.

I see that you're having a couple of issues with your iPhone XR. When you use the side button to raise and lower the volume of the ringtone you’re using, it doesn't work. You have to go into the settings to correct this. It seems to also affect the sound of your alarms as well. You also note that you can't record a video since they come out blurry, and I'm glad to help.

Adjust the volume on iPhone -- Go to settings > Sounds & Haptics, and make sure that "Change with Buttons" is on. See if this adjust the sound of the ringtones you're using. Also check that the volume of your alarm is high enough.

If the camera on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch isn't working -- This article provides the information and steps that you need when the camera on your iPhone isn't working as expected.

Take care.

Jul 11, 2019 11:45 AM in response to annalisa96

Thanks for getting back to us with that information Annalisa. It's appreciated. Since this was also happening with a previous iPhone you owned, I'd like to see if the problem is being perpetuated by your backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings -- Since the problem was also occurring with your iPhone 6s, I'd like for you to restore your iPhone XR to factory settings. Make sure to follow all of the steps under "Get your device ready", before you proceed to "Restore your device to factory settings".

Once your iPhone XR starts up again, set it up as a new iPhone. Feel free to sign into iCloud and iTunes & App Store when prompted. Sync the information you need to your phone and see how it responds for a bit. If it's working as expected, repeat the process again, but use the latest backup you made to set it up with.

Let me know how that goes.

Cheers!

Jul 11, 2019 11:10 AM in response to Leanne_68

Thank you Less,

‘change with buttons’ is always on and alarm volume on high. At first, I thought it may be because I had face recognition on and if it thinks it sees my face it silences it, but I turned it off and the same problem persisted however it did prevent the alarm from decreasing volume when id show attention.

Thank you for the tips sheet for camera issues I’ll look into all of them

Annalisa

Volume issues with new iPhone xr

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.