Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I work with video in logic pro

Since I have had experience with earlier versions of Logic I am inclined to upgrade to

the current version. But I have seen other audio/midi software that will extract sound

from videos. Will Logic Pro do that?

Also, I have Motu MIDI interface (Micro lite), Fishman TriplePlay guitar MIDI controller/FC-1

MIDI interface and Yamaha MG16XU mixer. Will these peripherals work with Logic "out of the box"?

All connect to Mac via USB. Particularly I am concerned about the Yamaha mixer for both

audio input (for audio montoring and recording) and output (for monitoring and playing back

MIDI instrument track recordings).

Thank you

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 4:36 PM

Thank you Pete_in_Denver:

It occured to me that if all the peripheral USB equipment shows up in sound preferences and

the audio/MIDI setup app, that Logic would probably connect with it.

My Yamaha mixer has just recently been purchased. I is an MG16XU. For MIDI I have been using

MOTU Micro Lite. It is old but it does appear to work on Macbook Pro with High Sierra.

The Yamaha mixer came with a free version of Cubase, which I would not recommend. Cubase worked

initially, but now refuses to recognize an provide the mixer as an i/o option in studio audio setup.

I am a hobbyist as a studio engineer and musician. I have fortunate to have a bit of padding, money

wise, in my retirement years. But I can't go overboard. I have a web site and want to create and post

music videos of me playing on it. So I would build up backing tracks and use the mixer to pipe sound

in with the video as it records. But experimenting around and coming up with chord progressions and

ideas that I might not remember a few minutes later means that video and audio recording will help

me keep track. I am hoping I can also record in via MIDI so I have scores to refer to later on.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2019 4:36 PM in response to Pete_in_FL

Thank you Pete_in_Denver:

It occured to me that if all the peripheral USB equipment shows up in sound preferences and

the audio/MIDI setup app, that Logic would probably connect with it.

My Yamaha mixer has just recently been purchased. I is an MG16XU. For MIDI I have been using

MOTU Micro Lite. It is old but it does appear to work on Macbook Pro with High Sierra.

The Yamaha mixer came with a free version of Cubase, which I would not recommend. Cubase worked

initially, but now refuses to recognize an provide the mixer as an i/o option in studio audio setup.

I am a hobbyist as a studio engineer and musician. I have fortunate to have a bit of padding, money

wise, in my retirement years. But I can't go overboard. I have a web site and want to create and post

music videos of me playing on it. So I would build up backing tracks and use the mixer to pipe sound

in with the video as it records. But experimenting around and coming up with chord progressions and

ideas that I might not remember a few minutes later means that video and audio recording will help

me keep track. I am hoping I can also record in via MIDI so I have scores to refer to later on.

Jul 13, 2019 3:57 PM in response to anotherJeff273

Yup (audio extraction from a video)! Just tried it with a video clip I had on my desktop. I believe it's FILE - IMPORT FROM - MOVIE. Select your movie in the finder-like window. At that point you'll be alerted that there's an audio track, and given an opportunity to extract it. Just don't select OPEN THE MOVIE, unless you want the video too.

Now that said, you do understand that while Logic 'works' with video, its focus is on recording music, and all of its rich suites of features put their muscle there. In terms of 'working' with a video (more than just adding music to it), you're going to want something else. Based on the assumption that you're a Mac user, Final Cut is the top Apple written tool, but there are certainly others. Adobe Premier comes to mind as another tool.

Jul 13, 2019 4:08 PM in response to anotherJeff273

...on the other question, you'd really need to try it to be sure. Mac is really very good at identifying and using USB Compliant hardware in my experience.

That said, essentially your whole studio is USB based. I had heard some whispers about multiple USB audio devices having some sync issues, but I have nothing to substantiate that. I use multiple USBs as well, but mine are only for MIDI. I use either legacy Firewire or the newer Thunderbolt 2 connections for audio.

Your devices should all be fine at first blush. On your mixer, I don't know that it supports individual channel outputs for each channel - you'll need to consult your mixer docs. Some mixers used to support simply L&R out and L&R in from USB. If this is a relatively recent vintage mixer, it could be much more capable.

Jul 13, 2019 5:54 PM in response to anotherJeff273

Without the mixer visible, you probably have no way to record. That's the first hurdle - find out why... bad cable? Too long? Not the latest mixer firmware (assuming yours takes software upgrades)? I'd start by swapping cables around first. Also, check the Yamaha website(s) for mixer updates.

When you go to About This Mac -> System Report -> USB, does it show all of your devices? And how about the Audio Midi Setup in Utilities?

Jul 13, 2019 7:54 PM in response to Pete_in_FL

So the Yamaha mixer does show up in both sound preferences and is

selected and active. As well in audio/MIDI setup app the mixer does

show up and is selected in the audio setup portion. To test, I plugged

in a mic into the mixer and listened for the signal out the other end to

the audio amp an monitor speakers. The signal comes through loud

and clear but NOT through Cubase. Just right in and out through the system.

Cubase is not showing the mixer as an i/o option in studio audio setup.

It did initially the first time I had it up and running. The next night I fired

it up and no cigar.

That is why I posted this query before I spring for Logic again. I want to be able

to depend on it. My old Logic; pro 8/Logic studio, was reliable in that respect.

Although with that I was using an M-Audio Fast Track Pro audio interface. I have

lost track but I think that goes as far back as 10 years, at least. I know that is around

the time I acquired Mac Logic, I had an earlier version that dates back to before Apple

acquired Logic.

Thank you for time and attention.

JK

Jul 13, 2019 9:57 PM in response to anotherJeff273

Well, it's been years since I used Cubase, so I'm no help there. If it appears in Audio Midi then it will appear in Logic. In fact, the Audio Midi tool should show you how many channels in/out your mixer supports.

In terms of Logic, I'm a generally satisfied customer. There are glitches now and again, but I think that's probably true across the board. For the $300 or so it costs now (I bought it when it was $1000), I'd say it's a steal. Lots of plugins that are usable as well.

Can I work with video in logic pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.