Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record sound and midi data from external keyboard (Roland FP-30) to Logic Pro without dealing with audio?

I just want to understand if there is a way to simply route the sound and midi data generated from my Roland FP-30 keyboard directly onto a software instrument channel in Logic Pro X, without having to worry about any sort of audio tracks? I currently have it plugged in to my computer via USB, and it works fine as a midi keyboard with other plugins. I'm sure I'm missing an important step, such as not connecting it properly, etc. I'm just not certain as to what.

Any help would be hugely appreciated, thanks!

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 1:52 PM

No, not in the way youre describing. The FP30's USB connection is MIDI only. You would need to take one of the Roland's outputs, either the 1/8 or 1/4" audio outs and go into an audio input on the computer. Right now you can record and play Logic's audio instruments, or create an external MIDI track and record and playback the roland monitoring it's sound via the built-in speakers or using headphones. But to get the actual sound of the roland into the computer it needs to be recorded as audio.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 1:52 PM in response to jplagraff

No, not in the way youre describing. The FP30's USB connection is MIDI only. You would need to take one of the Roland's outputs, either the 1/8 or 1/4" audio outs and go into an audio input on the computer. Right now you can record and play Logic's audio instruments, or create an external MIDI track and record and playback the roland monitoring it's sound via the built-in speakers or using headphones. But to get the actual sound of the roland into the computer it needs to be recorded as audio.

How to record sound and midi data from external keyboard (Roland FP-30) to Logic Pro without dealing with audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.