Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail suddenly won't connect to outgoing smtp server

About every two months my mac mail will not connect to my email smtp server. If I open up Accounts all of the login and server info in Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is correct. Sometimes, if I delete the smtp account and rebuild it it will work... but not always. It seems like the Mail client is not actually using the data that is entered into the fields in the smtp account manager in the client. Really inexplicable. Please help before I have to switch to another client.

MacBook, macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 11, 2019 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2019 9:28 AM

Have you tried using Mail Connection Doctor that is built-in macOS? It could help determine the cause when the Mail app is not successful sending messages.

As you can imagine, there are a number of steps that need to be performed to send email.

They include:

1. Doing a DNS lookup to find the IP address of the SMTP server.
  2. Initiating contact to that server to find out its capabilities and informing it what your client's capabilities are as well.
  3. Establishing a secure link by submitting your user email account credentials.
  4. Authentication of those credentials by the SMTP server.
  5. ... and finally sending the email message.

Any one of these can fail and would have to be troubleshot to determine which is the culprit.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2019 9:28 AM in response to deelbe

Have you tried using Mail Connection Doctor that is built-in macOS? It could help determine the cause when the Mail app is not successful sending messages.

As you can imagine, there are a number of steps that need to be performed to send email.

They include:

1. Doing a DNS lookup to find the IP address of the SMTP server.
  2. Initiating contact to that server to find out its capabilities and informing it what your client's capabilities are as well.
  3. Establishing a secure link by submitting your user email account credentials.
  4. Authentication of those credentials by the SMTP server.
  5. ... and finally sending the email message.

Any one of these can fail and would have to be troubleshot to determine which is the culprit.

Jul 15, 2019 10:21 AM in response to deelbe

Are you running any anti-virus programs?

The next time you are having problems, see if it will work in the Safe Mode.

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Jul 15, 2019 7:22 AM in response to Tesserax

Your list pretty much just includes the steps required to connect to an SMTP server. As I stated in my OP, ALL of the necessary data to connect to my hosts SMTP is absolutely correct.

1. The IP address is correct
  2. User name and password is correct.
  3. Port number and TSL authentication is correct.

This is such a serious issue BECAUSE all of the connection info is entered correctly in the email client.

I can use all of the info I have entered into Mac mail to successfully connect to the account via webmail.

I suspect more that this has something to do with keychains shared between devices via icloud.

Jul 15, 2019 8:36 AM in response to deelbe

Yes ... but what we don't know is at which of those that if fails when you randomly can't send an email ... right? Without doing some additional troubleshooting, it would be impossible to tell. The problem is that it needs to be done when the Mail client fails to send the message ... and, I'm assuming that it is to only one email provider ... correct?

Jul 23, 2019 7:45 AM in response to Tesserax

Here are some logs from the Connection Doctor from when the problem is happening. Even though these aren't in chronological order, I just wanted to show that the client IS connecting to the server. I am getting a '550 relay not permitted error.' So, that's the problem. But the question remains: "why."

As I stated before, I have contacted my mail server host and ALL of the username / password / port numbers data are correct. I have other email accounts and hosting accounts with them (Media Temple) and don't have a problem with spotty uptime.

Jul 23, 2019 8:28 AM in response to deelbe

I am getting a '550 relay not permitted error.' So, that's the problem. But the question remains: "why."

The SMTP "550" error is typical when there is a non-existant email address at the recipient's location. It could also indicate that the recipient's firewall is rejecting the message or that the server is down.

A "551" error would be related to relay issues. In this both your email address and the recipient's are not locally hosted by the SMTP server. This is one method to prevent spamming by the email provider.

Mac Mail suddenly won't connect to outgoing smtp server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.