Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face ID is not available

I've had my phone now for about 6 months and its never done this. My Face ID has been working perfectly. Until the other day I noticed my face wouldn't open the phone and I had to put my pass code. I didn't think anything of this because sometimes it just doesn't read my face or makes me do the code. But it was every time and I looked at the face ID in settings and it said it was not available for my phone.

I tried restarting my phone, didn't help. Tried setting up a new face id and it will still say not available. I even factory reset my phone and it still isn't working. It gets a little frustrating because it is one of the better features on the new iphones. I use it to validate everything. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so how did you resolve it. I really don't want to travel to my nearest apple store for them to look at it because its so far away from me. Anything is much appreciated.

iPhone XR, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 5:41 AM

3 replies

Jul 13, 2019 10:20 AM in response to mbross4

Your device will require your passcode when you do the following:

• Turn on or restart your device
  • Press the Home button or swipe up to unlock your device (you can change this)
  • Update your software
  • Erase your device
  • View or change passcode settings
  • Install iOS Configuration profiles

Use a passcode with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204060

Face ID is not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.