Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late Calendar notifications

Over the last few months Calendar has become very unreliable at notifying me of events. Notifications appear on my desktop but they are always late, anything between 10 minutes and several hours - there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it and it varies from day to day.

Also, I might have three different events, set for 6 am, 7 am and 8 am say, but the notifications will all appear at the same time at some random time after that, so it is not as if everything arrives two hours late, say.

I have quit and restarted Calendar (many times), and have experimented with new events and changing existing events, but nothing improves its reliability.

I am using Sierra 10.12.6 on a 2013 iMac.

Can anyone help please?

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 6:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2019 6:48 PM

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2019 6:48 PM in response to janefromhamilton

Try setting up another admin user account in System Preferences/Users & Groups to see if the same problem continues. Please post back on whether or not this worked. Also try the Safe Mode. Please post back on whether or not this worked.

Isolating an issue by using another user account 

Safe Mode - About

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor.  Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Etrecheck – System Information

Jul 22, 2019 7:31 PM in response to janefromhamilton

You are welcome. Something that was in your log in items was probably causing the problem. If you want to test some more, below is a screen shot of what was in your log in items. Add the items back two at a time and test. When you have a problem again, try deleting one of the two most recently added items to see if you can get it working properly again. If the first one you remove doesn't fix the problem, delete the 2nd one added. Process of trial and error until you find the problem.

Jul 15, 2019 6:31 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks for that, Eric and apologies for my tardy response.

I have tried starting up in Safe Mode previously but the problem remained.

Can you advise how I would test Calendar in another account? I do have a separate account set up already but to see if Calendar was working in it I would have to remain logged into it to see when the notifications came through, wouldn't I? If I am logged back in to my regular account I won't see them......so I'm not sure how to go about testing it.

Thanks for your help :)

Jul 15, 2019 7:18 PM in response to janefromhamilton

You are welcome. No need to apologize . It may not help, but try running/posting the Etrecheck report in your normal account. If the log won’t post, try posting it in Pastebin and provide a link in a reply. After pasting the report in a PasteBin page, go to the top of the page, and copy the address in the URL bar. Paste that in a new reply.        Pastebin

Jul 22, 2019 1:59 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you so much, Eric - this has fixed it!

I did what you suggested (went to Users & Groups and removed all my login items, etc.) then allowed a few days to test it and it is working perfectly - both for existing events and new ones I have created.

Can you please tell me why your fix has worked? I'm not that tech savvy so not too technical, please, but I am curious :)

Late Calendar notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.