Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 15" kernel panic after going to sleep

Whenever my Mac goes to sleep it crashes with a kernel panic (when I press the power button I am greeted with a message along the lines of "your mac has restarted after a serious problem" or something to that extent.

After a successful boot I see the panic report which always is the same and begins with the lines:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f8b739fcd): "Failed to quiesce supporting devices\n"@/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleACPIPlatform/AppleACPIPlatform-281.70.3/AppleACPIPlatformPower.cpp:1970

The rest of the Panic Report can of course be supplied if required.

The Mac runs macOS High Sierra and I have tried:

• Disk first aid
  • Reinstall macOS
  • Reset the SMC

but to no avail. Every time the Mac goes to sleep, it kernel panics.

The problems came after I installed the latest security fix from Apple on July 10: Security update 2019-004 (beta for developers) and developer preview of Safari version 13.0, seed 2.

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 2:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2019 5:50 AM

You could try booting form an external device first.

I had these constant kernel panics when sleeping on my machine ("AppleACPIPlatformPower.cpp"). First I thought it could have been an Apple Update as I had Catalina once installed on a second partition of my main SSD. So I remove the partition, did Disk First Aid, PRAM, SMC, reinstalled High Sierra in the hope that it would fix the issue. Nothing.

My next steps:

• Startup up from a fresh High Sierra on an external USB-SSD drive -> same Kernel Panic when sleeping
  • Startup up from a fresh Mojave on an external USB-SSD drive -> same Kernel Panic when sleeping

After backing up to TimeMachine:

• Wipe of internal SSD and fresh install of High Sierra -> same Kernel Panic when sleeping

Next: Apple Store. They said they need to replace the mainboard.

Similar questions

90 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2019 5:50 AM in response to Fugge

You could try booting form an external device first.

I had these constant kernel panics when sleeping on my machine ("AppleACPIPlatformPower.cpp"). First I thought it could have been an Apple Update as I had Catalina once installed on a second partition of my main SSD. So I remove the partition, did Disk First Aid, PRAM, SMC, reinstalled High Sierra in the hope that it would fix the issue. Nothing.

My next steps:

• Startup up from a fresh High Sierra on an external USB-SSD drive -> same Kernel Panic when sleeping
  • Startup up from a fresh Mojave on an external USB-SSD drive -> same Kernel Panic when sleeping

After backing up to TimeMachine:

• Wipe of internal SSD and fresh install of High Sierra -> same Kernel Panic when sleeping

Next: Apple Store. They said they need to replace the mainboard.

Jul 18, 2019 9:00 AM in response to Fugge

Fugge wrote:

The problems came after I installed the latest security fix from Apple on July 10: Security update 2019-004 (beta for developers) and developer preview of Safari version 13.0, seed 2.

Can you fall back to before you made these developer preview versions?

How to use Time Machine... restore your Mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201250

You are always at risk using Beta. https://forums.developer.apple.com/community/beta/

These are the public support forums, not beta,

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a message that it ...

Jul 24, 2019 12:59 PM in response to Fugge

So today I restored my machine from time machine prior to the 2019-004 update. Kernel Panic on wake did NOT go away. So, either coincidence with applying 2019-004...or the update (somehow) broke hardware...or the update updated some firmware somewhere that has a defect that triggers the panic...

Interesting as well, the download page for 2019-004 High Sierra is gone today...

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2012?locale=en_US

Apple must be on to something. Hope it didn't break my hardware (rather it be a firmware issue...)

Jul 25, 2019 9:28 AM in response to mostlyfiction

I fully agree that this is really embarrassing for Apple. People do not pay twice as much for a MacBook than for comparable Dell notebook not in order to receive security updates that severely mess up their system.

Apple, with their armada of highly paid software engineers, should do a better job at testing products before releasing them.

I invite everyone to let Apple know about this problem on their feedback site, maybe this will encourage them to find a fix soon:

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jul 25, 2019 10:16 AM in response to Fugge

User @g--unit posted this possible workaround.

Link to this Post

""I was able to get the shutdowns to stop by disabling computer sleep when display is off.

system preferences -> energy saver -> check "Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off"

Not a solution, but at least stops the annoying shutdowns until Apple can fix the issue.""

Curious to see if this works for others! Looks like the option is only available if the Mac is connected to power. I am not sure what would happen if you try this on battery.

Jul 23, 2019 11:58 PM in response to Fugge

I did some additional digging and found multiple reports of this issue. Most (if not all) are related to system updates, but not this specific one. Some also target other MacBook Pros (2016 models and a report of a 2018 model).

The only solution seems to be a Logic board replacement (that's bad news if you're out of warranty, but it's an Apple update that caused the problems so they should cover it).

This is likely what happens:

• With the latest updates you likely noticed a lot of restarts (these are intentional)
  • In one of these restarts something went wrong (maybe a short circuit)
  • Something broke down that's needed when waking from sleep (might be a specific temperature sensor from 1 report)

If you have this issue and Apple (or your service provider) tells you to either...

• Restore your system
  • Upgrade to Mojave
  • Wipe your entire HD
  • Do a hardware test
  • Reset NVRAM
  • Boot from an external device

...don't bother. It won't help. Just point them to this topic and answer and say they need to replace your logic board and that security update 2019-004 for High Sierra should be pulled (at least for the 2017 15" MacBook Pro). Although the issue is around for multiple years the reports seem to exponentially increase with this specific update.

Jul 24, 2019 8:37 PM in response to jlfaber

Hey Guys,

I am following this issue and looks to be only affecting T1 and T2 equipped Macs.

That includes

• 2017 iMac Pro
  • 2018 Mac Mini
  • 2018-2019 Macbook Air
  • 2016-2019 MacBook Pro with Touch Bar.

Anyone that installed the update can you check something? I want to see if the Security Update installer created a tmutil 24 hour snapshot.

Run this command to check

tmutil listlocalsnapshots /

You should have a listing from the past 24 hours. If you do you can boot into the Recovery Partition and restore to this snapshot before the update was installed.

I am following this issue and updating when I find new info here.

https://mrmacintosh.com/apple-pulls-2019-004-high-sierra-security-update-after-kernel-panics/

Jul 27, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Fugge

I have updated the main article on this issue.

It seems like we only have 2 "workarounds and 1 solution.

Workaround

1. - Check the box "Prevent computer from sleeping when display is off"

2 - Don't close the lid but instead click the Apple icon > Sleep

3 - Reset SMC (only seems to work for 50% of users)

Fix it right now

1. Upgrade to Mojave 10.14.6

https://mrmacintosh.com/apple-pulls-2019-004-high-sierra-and-sierra-security-updates-after-kernel-panics/

Hopefully we get a new updated 2019-004 Security Update quickly next week.

Jul 27, 2019 8:08 AM in response to tinkertwain

This is working for me right now, it's a workaround and not satisfactory, but at least I'm not sleeping and panicking on wake. Looking forward to a solution from Apple. Basically I'm preventing the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off. I also use Black Screen screensaver to turn the display black instead of running a screensaver that might take up cycles and burn up my display.

Jul 15, 2019 8:42 AM in response to Fugge

I have the daily kernel panics with a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) and High Sierra 10.13.6 (regular, no developer previews installed)

It started the day after I've added a separate volume on my boot volume with "Apple File System Space Sharing" and installed the 10.15 beta on this new volume.

I reinstalled High Sierra, did First Aid, SMC and PRAM reset. Nothing helped so far. :-(

Jul 18, 2019 2:49 PM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for the tip! I have already thought about that and I'll try to perform a total restore, i.e., wipe the disk and install from a pristine High Sierra installation image, and see if that helps. It is a bother though -- too large a disk and too full. Still, it is worth a try as I would like to know if this is, indeed, related to the beta update or if there is a more serious problem with the machine.

Jul 23, 2019 4:41 AM in response to sfoiphone

I tried all your tips and, regrettably, with the same result. :-(

I booted from a USB drive and that only ended in total darkness. I then tried (again) to reinstall High Sierra from the recovery partition, also to no avail. After this I copied everything to an external drive, reformatted the internal disc, reinstalled High Sierra and still no success. I will get in contact with Apple and have this looked into.

Thanks for the tip!

MacBook Pro 2017 15" kernel panic after going to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.