Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install

I am trying to install OS X Capitan, and everytime i try, when i put my apple id and pass it says "this item is temporarily unavailable"

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 4:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 7:02 PM

If you have never downloaded El Capitan using your Apple ID, you will get that error.

Are you trying to reinstall from the Recovery Partition or when booted normally? If you are booted normally, see if you can download it using the link below.

El Capitan

If you are trying to reinstall from the Recovery Partition, see if Internet Recovery will work for your computer. Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS. When the computer restarts, you can use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2019 7:02 PM in response to Ineedhelp-_

If you have never downloaded El Capitan using your Apple ID, you will get that error.

Are you trying to reinstall from the Recovery Partition or when booted normally? If you are booted normally, see if you can download it using the link below.

El Capitan

If you are trying to reinstall from the Recovery Partition, see if Internet Recovery will work for your computer. Try booting into Internet Recovery (command - option/alt - R on a restart). It is a slow process. This will install the newest OS that the computer is compatible with. Reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Quit Disk Utility. Then install the OS. When the computer restarts, you can use Setup Assistant to restore your data from Time Machine.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.