Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some iTunes (12.8.2.3) songs are missing from iMovie (10.1.6)

Lots of my iTunes library songs show up in iMovie, but some songs are missing. Why? The missing songs are not all of the same "Kind", and they are not "AAC Protected". Any ideas? Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 6:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2019 8:35 PM

Hi,

The following are some reasons why iTunes songs will not show up in iMovie.

Songs stored in the cloud will not show up in iMovie. You would need to download them to the iTunes media library.

Apple Music songs will not appear in iMovie.

DRM protected songs will not appear in iMovie.

Unless there is some reason why you aren't doing so, you might consider updating iMovie to current version 10.1.12. You would need High Sierra or Mojave.

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 14, 2019 8:35 PM in response to JLDG

Hi,

The following are some reasons why iTunes songs will not show up in iMovie.

Songs stored in the cloud will not show up in iMovie. You would need to download them to the iTunes media library.

Apple Music songs will not appear in iMovie.

DRM protected songs will not appear in iMovie.

Unless there is some reason why you aren't doing so, you might consider updating iMovie to current version 10.1.12. You would need High Sierra or Mojave.

-- Rich

Jul 16, 2019 11:29 AM in response to Rich839

Thanks. You solved my problem. I needed to download the missing song(s) from iCloud. The reason I have not updated is because I have been stung big time by an update in the past. I had a huge iMovie library that I lost as a result of an update. Apple Support even tried and failed to help me recover the library. I'm being extra cautious about my next update. Thanks again.

Jul 16, 2019 12:13 PM in response to JLDG

You are welcome. Glad we could solve it.

If you haven't already done it, it is a good idea to set up Time Machine backups on an external drive formatted Mac OS Extended (journaled) that is totally dedicated to Time Machine (i.e, no other stuff on it). That way you can back up before updates or upgrades, and in case anything goes wrong you can restore from the Time Machine backup. If you need to reformat an external drive, be aware that reformatting deletes all data on the drive, so first back up any data that you want to keep.

Best,

-- Rich

Some iTunes (12.8.2.3) songs are missing from iMovie (10.1.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.