Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain won't sync all data

Hello,

I bring my one Macbook to repair service so i made a timemachine backup.

I restore that backup to second identical Macbook, but i can't turn on iCloud Keychain in iCloud Settings and other items (notes, calendar etc.) was checked but won't sync as well. I can't save a passwords to mail account so Mail is not synchronize emails.

I try logout from icloud but then i won't to login. So I found this help there is a broken keychain.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8281792

So I move a Keychain folder on the desktop. Log out log in. System made a new keychain files a I can login to iCloud, can sync iCloud Keychain and save passwords to Mail, but a few (maybe 30% passwords) from Keychain missing, but i have them on my iPhone.

So the question is - how can I have a less passwords if the keychain is in iCloud and synced.

Maybe if I will get a Macbook from repair - checke a Keychain files on it if there is a more passwords and will try to move them to icloud keychain. (If you log out from icloud or unchecked icloud keychain it should make a local copy or move items to local keychain - than you can save a icloud keychain). But it is weird.

And secondary question - if I move an items from older keychain to e.g. icloud keychain - for every item I will be prompted for password. Can I disable that ?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 15, 2019 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 9:19 AM

If the passwords in the MacBook under repair are in iCloud keychain, they may sync to the other computer and the phone once you sign back into iCloud.

See if anything here helps.

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Everything you need to know about iCloud Keychain - iMore

macOS Sierra: Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

An essential Mac OS X Keychain guide - Computerworld

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2019 9:19 AM in response to imperator1987

If the passwords in the MacBook under repair are in iCloud keychain, they may sync to the other computer and the phone once you sign back into iCloud.

See if anything here helps.

Frequently asked questions about iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

Everything you need to know about iCloud Keychain - iMore

macOS Sierra: Set up iCloud Keychain - Apple Support

An essential Mac OS X Keychain guide - Computerworld

Jul 16, 2019 8:33 AM in response to Eric Root

No i didn't try logout from iCloud on iPhone - but what should i get ? In better case - the same keychain as I have in iPhone, in worse case same keychain as I have on Macbook.

First of all I will wait a few days for my repaired Macbook (where I have been logout) and will try to see if bigger keychain was copied into local storage.

The "bigger" icloud keychain i have on repaired Macbook and iPhone - and after my repairing keychain (delete folder and login to icloud and sync keychain) i have "smaller" keychain in backuped macbook.

It is interesting that keychain which work on repaired macbook won't work after timechaine restore on backup macbook (a this broke saving password for mails, syncing all icloud items and storing filevault into icloud - so much things)

I waited a few days but keychain on backuped macbook is still smaller. Not as bad but... this is not way how icloud keychain should work...

And second question - If I found in repaired macbook older passwords from "bigger" keychain - copying to icloud need password for every item.

iCloud Keychain won't sync all data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.