Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgotten passcode, apple id *and* password

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help out. A friends daughter recently left her iPhone in a foreign country with a friend accidentally and had it returned. However, with using a different phone in the meantime she had forgotten the passcode for the iPhone.

I suggested that the only thing that I could do would be to factory reset it, so that she could sign in with her Apple ID to re-activate it.

I've done this and, now it turns out that she can't actually remember the e-mail address that she had originally signed up with. We have the 'clue' with the first letter of the email address and the domain. However, she can't remember what the actual e-mail address was so recovery of the ID is going to be difficult at best.

Don't ask - I'm stumped myself as to how they've managed to achieve this!

Anyhow, the phone was purchased by her, and we have the proof of purchase for the phone. Is there something that could be done, even if it has to go back to the Apple store? Obviously, we're trying to avoid a hefty replacement cost if we can as there's no fault with the phone (just obviously a fault with the user!!).

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 2:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 3:59 AM

She's tried : If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support ?

If she still can't find or remember her id, and if she was the original purchaser of the phone (i.e. it’s not second-hand), she could try going to an Apple Store (she should make a Genius Bar appointment if she does) or try contacting iTunes Support online (https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html) and see if they can remove the phone from the account - they are likely to want to see proof of ownership before they might help e.g. original receipt with the serial number on it

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2019 3:59 AM in response to eggysplat

She's tried : If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support ?

If she still can't find or remember her id, and if she was the original purchaser of the phone (i.e. it’s not second-hand), she could try going to an Apple Store (she should make a Genius Bar appointment if she does) or try contacting iTunes Support online (https://www.apple.com/emea/support/itunes/contact.html) and see if they can remove the phone from the account - they are likely to want to see proof of ownership before they might help e.g. original receipt with the serial number on it

Jul 16, 2019 4:04 AM in response to King_Penguin

Yep, I sent her to that page as her first port of call. She has no access to the account in any way, shape or form. Being honest, she's the kind that is in a rush to set everything up and probably used a bunch of 'nearly correct' details to create the account. She goes through phones like the clappers and seems to create a new account every time she gets a new one *sighs*

I did mention that it would probably be a trip to the Apple store. I didn't think Apple would be able to remove the phone from the account though. With the fact that there's an insistence that Find My is disabled on all repairs, I kind of assumed that Apple were simply unable to remove phones from accounts themselves.

Forgotten passcode, apple id *and* password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.