Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reset an unused iPhone 13 without remembering passcode or Apple ID?

Very poorly relative was given an iPhone 13 by her son a while back, and cannot remember the phone's code. She has had both her sons try, but they know even less about this technology than she does.

I am not even sure that she has a clue as to her Apple ID, and I don't know if she can sign into the email address she has.

My first question is- how do I best start and what are the chances of being able to reset the phone with absolutely no information?

If there is no way- is it possible for her to have used an Apple email to set up the Apple ID with or, as I suspect, would it have required an existing email (because the Apple emails are only generated after the setting up of the Apple ID)? I ask, because that may narrow things down a little, even if I cannot sign into her one and only email address to help reset the Apple ID password in the first instance, to then reset the passcode on the phone.

It's a bit of a disaster as I would like to help her/her son (my husband), but am persona non grata and she's not speaking to me. This, just to explain why I am not already all over it and have sat with her to help her work it out.

I have the phone in its box, as you can see, the cables et al are still unused. Such a shame for her!

iPhone 13

Posted on Nov 4, 2022 2:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 5:28 AM

OK- If you've forgotten your iPhone passcode – Apple Support (UK) is the only way forward if you do not know diddly-squat about the MIL's handset and your MIL is incommunicado.

It was pretty straightforward, once I figured out that the download will continue even if you cannot see/find it anywhere* after the phone exists recovery mode after 15 minutes.

*No sign of it in Downloads, no sign of it doing a search for it by name and NOTHING at all showing in the Activity Monitor's network tab either.

In the end I calculated how long would still be left to run if I subtracted the 15 minutes from it and lo and behold- it worked. The restart of the phone in recovery mode while plugging it in auto-initiated the install just as it had auto-initiated the information that either an update or restore would be required for the phone.

Interestingly I noted that the setting of the passcode (and Face ID) comes before the setting up/signing into an Apple ID. Which is what I found hard to believe, as that is counter-intuitive. But, at least, that meant that my BIL was right when he said that they'd not gotten that far with it all.

All good now.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 5:28 AM in response to MacBraveheart

OK- If you've forgotten your iPhone passcode – Apple Support (UK) is the only way forward if you do not know diddly-squat about the MIL's handset and your MIL is incommunicado.

It was pretty straightforward, once I figured out that the download will continue even if you cannot see/find it anywhere* after the phone exists recovery mode after 15 minutes.

*No sign of it in Downloads, no sign of it doing a search for it by name and NOTHING at all showing in the Activity Monitor's network tab either.

In the end I calculated how long would still be left to run if I subtracted the 15 minutes from it and lo and behold- it worked. The restart of the phone in recovery mode while plugging it in auto-initiated the install just as it had auto-initiated the information that either an update or restore would be required for the phone.

Interestingly I noted that the setting of the passcode (and Face ID) comes before the setting up/signing into an Apple ID. Which is what I found hard to believe, as that is counter-intuitive. But, at least, that meant that my BIL was right when he said that they'd not gotten that far with it all.

All good now.

Nov 4, 2022 5:26 PM in response to MacBraveheart

See if you can recover the ID/password. An iCloud e-mail address is an Apple ID. Use every email address you can think of.

Apple ID - How to find your Apple  -  

Apple ID - Find  -     

Other ways to find your Apple ID

You can check to see if you're signed in to the App Store, FaceTime, or Messages on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac, or check to see if you're signed in to iTunes for Windows on a PC. You can also go to iCloud.com or appleid.apple.com and see if your Apple ID prefills on the sign-in screen.   

If you forgot the Apple ID (iCloud) password, enter the Apple (iCloud) ID, and click Forgot Password. See if you can get a Rescue or Notification email option if necessary. Link to contact Apple Support at the end of the 2nd article.

Apple ID - Manage

Apple ID – Forgot Password  *      

If you have 2 Factor Authentication enabled, if you can't recover the password using the steps above, you will need to use Account Recovery. The Recovery Process is an automated process and the length of time it takes can vary a lot. Apple ID Support can only answer your questions. They can't intervene in or speed up the process. The article below has some suggestions to shorten the time the process takes.

Apple ID - Recover your Apple ID with two-factor authentication account recovery.   *

If you have changed your password, have you followed the steps in this article on all devices/computers? 

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support.  *

See the Apple Support article(s) below for IOS 15.2 or later..

Passcode - How to reset your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when you forgot your passcode (IOS 15.2 or later).  *

ASC YouTube for how to restore your iPhone if you forgot your passcode - Apple Support.  -

See the Apple Support article(s) below for earlier than IOS 15.2 . 

Passcode - If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone or your device is disabled.    *

Nov 4, 2022 5:44 PM in response to 808IslandGirl

Thank you so much for that info. It made me take a look at my options, and I actually found the Apple Way: If you've forgotten your iPhone passcode – Apple Support (UK)

Only problem I am now facing is that the phone exits recovery mode after 15 minutes and the download from Apple which is required takes much longer with my snail-speed internet. The instructions tell me to let the download complete when that happens and to restart the phone, but I have no idea if it is still downloading as the interface changes and there's no process bar. Blast...

Nov 4, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Eric Root

Sorry- I'd not seen your reply. Thank you for that- I had found the link for the reset (If you've forgotten your iPhone passcode – Apple Support (UK)) doing a Google Search and it would work if I could be sure that the download's still happening even after the 15 minute exit pattern for the phone. Assuming that it does, I will try it again tomorrow and see if there's no requirement to download anything still. Fingers crossed!

Nov 6, 2022 2:14 AM in response to 808IslandGirl

Oh, absolutely- thank you! Besides giving me the idea to do a Google Search for solutions outwith Apple (and the result promptly returning me to Apple for the solution), I did have to smile because you read like me- tirelessly trying and having to sleep at some time, only to find that it had worked when you woke!

I think that you ended up doing pretty much what Apple tell you to do, because this is what I was told:

1. Power off your iPhone, prepare use of a computer (Apple device or Windows with iTunes),
  2. Plug in the charging cable to your phone and prepare to power on by holding the correct two buttons (with a 13 that is the power button the right and the - volume button on the left) while plugging the other end of the cable into the computer, holding the keys until you see the recovery mode icons (plugged in cable from bottom of screen etc).
  3. Then locating the iPhone in either Finder or iTunes (for me, running Monterey on a Mac, that was in Finder) on the computer, selecting it, and-
  4. opting to restore it, not just update it.
  5. Then heed the screen. The download should be in the 5GB to 8GB range and there should be a status bar somewhere to tell you how you're doing and how long it will take. Bearing in mind that recovery mode only lasts for 15 minutes, be ready to let the download run as is (without the phone being in recovery mode after 15 minutes) for the remainder of the download time, before-
  6. unplugging the cable with phone from the computer, shutting it down and going through step 2. above again. The result should be that instead of being told that you need to download something, you should be told that the update's being installed. Yay!
  7. Follow the remaining instructions.

It's really easy as pie once you know how and it's Apple's own instructions you're following (no trust issues for me, you see)!

Nov 4, 2022 3:28 PM in response to MacBraveheart

Oh- there is some progress in that I have an unusual error message when trying to reset the suspected email address as Apple ID's password (since that should trigger an email to the registered email as part of the password reset, should it not?):

Could that be indication that it may BE the right email but that they have well and truly wrapped themselves into a knot?

Nov 4, 2022 3:15 PM in response to MacBraveheart

It gets worse- my brother-in-law, who set it up, doesn't know whether he set it up as his phone under his Apple ID. And, worse, he cannot confirm his Apple ID. Because I cannot even find it when I try the email which he tells his brother (oh brother... See what I did there?!) is his. So- not only do they all not know the passcode set for the phone, they do not know the Apple ID it uses, nor do I have confirmation of any viable Apple ID at all.

Nov 4, 2022 4:03 PM in response to MacBraveheart

Aloha, yes my daughter too got locked out of her phone and ended up buying her another one, anyway, I recently had gotten a free government SIM card account and all I needed was a phone and believe it or not, I went online through YouTube and searched how to unlock my iPhone 12 without my passcode. Of course that was a strange thing to ask cause now anyone can take your phone, without your iPhone. But God is good, had to rephrase my question a few times, also note I was also had gone through the community Apple support system where you would first signup for your an Apple ID with ICloud website, which helped me along the way with rephrasing my questions so to narrowing down to exactly what I needed to avoiding what I already knew. It took me 3 days to follow 4 different You tubers who had similar steps that basically needed to be repeated 2 times simultaneously in that specific order. You will need a PC or I used a laptop to connect to making this process successful and you will also lose your data due to restart or resetting of your forgotten password. Now the 3 hackers I followed on YouTube, we’re giving instructions on pressing the volume up button, then down, up again then down the holding the two at the same time not pausing and wait until your screen goes completely off, and they will also give sequences of numbers to input also, connecting to laptop and so forth. I got so frustrated not knowing which one was right, but if it doesn’t tell you to connect to a PC or laptop, skip it. And because I had gone through about 100 people I chose the best 3 that did accomplish certain steps that was given but not by the same person. The 4th day I said my prayers and asked God to help me first, and went with the 1st hacker, did all the steps in order cause I was pretty much a pro and was quicker by then, finished with the 1st and moved on to the 2nd hacker did all his steps in order. Then last hacker and steps. It took a while, but I did this 3 times, one after each other just to because 🤷‍♀️ it took me about a whole afternoon into evening and was so tired, I left it charging overnight and in the morning, it went on but it was in a different language I knew not of, but that was the easy part to figure out. I hope you have time and patience, cause there’s a lot of waiting for an hour in between especially when you miss a step. God bless, hope this helps you, and God bless us all!!! Aloha 🤙🌺

How to reset an unused iPhone 13 without remembering passcode or Apple ID?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.