Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade from Snow Leopard to the new Update?

I’ve been trying to upgrade my MacBook Pro for years. It’s been telling me that I’m up to date so I’ve not been able to update. Now we’re at Mohave and my laptop virtually is unusable because all the apps and plug ins need updates. I’ve been able to back it up so it’s ready to be either recovered then installed with a new update, or just installed with Mountain Lion, or whatever comes next but, no matter what I do I cannot find a webpage, or link in the App Store that gets me to those updates. I also cannot figure out how to recover my Mac so that it’s prepped and ready to go. (Command) - R does not prompt recovery in OS-Snow Leopard.

Id order a disk, but I cannot afford the $30 dollars the manual says it cost.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 4:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 4:26 AM

Snow Leopard on a DVD is $20 at the Apple Store.

Your troubles are all in the wording you're using. You don't need any update. You need an upgrade.

Open the App Store and log in using your Apple ID. On the front (main) page you'll see a link to Apps made by Apple and you can download El Capitan for free. Once it's installed you can upgrade further based on the specs of your machine.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2019 4:26 AM in response to BdBLady

Snow Leopard on a DVD is $20 at the Apple Store.

Your troubles are all in the wording you're using. You don't need any update. You need an upgrade.

Open the App Store and log in using your Apple ID. On the front (main) page you'll see a link to Apps made by Apple and you can download El Capitan for free. Once it's installed you can upgrade further based on the specs of your machine.

Jul 17, 2019 10:38 AM in response to BdBLady

Check to make sure your applications are compatible. PowerPC applications are no longer supported after 10.6.       

Application Compatibility

El Capitan 10.11 Compatibility information 

macOS Sierra 10.12: Compatible Apps

Also check to make sure there is a compatible driver for your printer.

Do a backup before installing, preferable 2 backups on 2 different drives.

How do I upgrade from Snow Leopard to the new Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.