Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Airport Extreme Help

I am trying to directly connect my airport extreme to Cincinnati Bell Fioptics without going through their ZyXEL router. I have had serious slow speeds and just enabled my 5G option on the Apple Router. I am paying for 500mbps through Cincinnati Bell, but I am unable to access the internet just using my apple airport extreme router.

Bottomline, I would like to access 5g internet speeds through my apple airport extreme router and NOT use the Cincinnati Bell Fioptics router. Any directions you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 16, 2019 7:19 PM

2 replies

Jul 16, 2019 9:31 PM in response to winiarski

Much depends on the actual service you have.

Most of Zyxel routers they supply appear to be VDSL but I doubt you can get 500Mbps over VDSL.. so I assume you have optical fibre into your house and a Fibre ONT (NCD all sorts of names.. but basically a box that has fibre in and ethernet out).

What is the exact model number of the Zyxel?

5g speeds.. again I am a bit confused. Apple routers will not support 5G (i.e. the next internet service after 3G and 4G)

Apple router can support 5ghz wifi if that is what you mean.. but that is LAN only.. no internet.

Your Apple router must plug into some ethernet device.. modem ONT whatever. Nothing else can work.

Apple routers are NOT capable of 500Mbps throughput over IPv4 .. Max would be around 450Mbps. And for 5ghz to give you full internet speed you would have to have the device right up close to the Apple router and working at full sync speed.. and be very very lucky. Apple routers are now 7year old design.. were never expected to throughput this speed.

IPv6 is different.. no NAT is used.. so if you are given a pure IPv6 setup it might work but only over ethernet.

Bell are famous for blocking other equipment.

See https://brashear.me/blog/2015/09/23/how-to-use-cincinnati-bell-fioptics-with-your-own-router/

Apple routers CANNOT spoof MAC address. So it is more than likely impossible.

You need Asus or other high end router.

Jul 17, 2019 5:34 AM in response to winiarski

The bottom line here is that the Apple routers were all designed 6+ years ago to work with standard cable and DSL Internet connections......not fiber.

So, if you want to try to connect the AirPort directly to the ONT......(which is a fibre modem of sorts).....it is going to take some experimentation to find out whether this might work. Realistically, the chances are very limited, and you may very likely need to use the Zyxel router that has been provided and connect the AirPort Extreme to that device.

The first order of business is to find out whether there is an Ethernet port on the ONT, and then connect your computer directly to the ONT using a wired Ethernet cable connection to see if you can get a good Internet connection that way.

If you decide to try this, please report on your results.

Apple Airport Extreme Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.