Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My vibration is broken

My phone decided to quit vibrating one day out of the blue. Nothing weird happened to it, just went to pick it up and it became unresponsive. I have an iPhone 8, and the home button click is simulated by a vibration. This function ceases to exist and my phone does not vibrate at all. It occasionally makes a weird clicking noise, and factory resets do not make a difference. How do I fix this and would it be expensive to get a repair?

iPhone 8

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 4:42 PM

Hi,

Have you tried using the vibrate switcher located above the volume buttons?

Do you have a vibration feedback when you switch from ringtone to vibrate?

If so, the vibration motor is supposedly not damaged.

There’s also a “Taptic Engine” just beneath your Home button (it generates the click) and is also in use for specific vibrating patterns such as 3D Touch.

If the Taptic Engine is damaged or dysfunctional, it will need to be sent back to the Genius Bar.

You can make an appointment there first and decide to send it for repair based on the Expert’s diagnosis.

Hope that helps,

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2019 4:42 PM in response to Grizzlies10

Hi,

Have you tried using the vibrate switcher located above the volume buttons?

Do you have a vibration feedback when you switch from ringtone to vibrate?

If so, the vibration motor is supposedly not damaged.

There’s also a “Taptic Engine” just beneath your Home button (it generates the click) and is also in use for specific vibrating patterns such as 3D Touch.

If the Taptic Engine is damaged or dysfunctional, it will need to be sent back to the Genius Bar.

You can make an appointment there first and decide to send it for repair based on the Expert’s diagnosis.

Hope that helps,

Jul 17, 2019 5:02 PM in response to Grizzlies10

Hi,

Since you’ve said this came out of the blue, there is a possibility it’s related to a software problem.

You can follow those easy steps to make sure it is or isn’t related to iOS:

Unlock your iPhone and once you’re on the Home Screen ;

Short-press (do not hold) volume up button and then short-press volume down (do not hold it either).

Then press and hold Power On/Sleep-Wake button and do not release it until the Apple logo appears.

That’s a software reset. It can be useful when iOS becomes unresponsive or freezes. It sometimes reset some data related to hardware which is why it could help with your issue.

If it didn’t prove to be effective, then you should make an appointment at the Genius Bar ;

You can either go to support.apple.com and provide your iPhone information or go to an Apple Store if there’s one near you and physically be present to the Genius Bar of the specific store.

They can have a first look at your phone and give you indications for what to do next.

If you need further assistance to go through the Apple support page, I’ll be of assistance ;

My vibration is broken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.