Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you turn off media keys AND show function keys on the touch bar?

There is a serious bug here. If "Use F1, F2, etc keys are standard function keys" option is checked in System Preferences, pressing the Fn key will show the function keys, but it will also turn them into Media keys. Therefore you still cannot use the fn keys.

What's the solution to both:

1) turn off the default media key behavior of the function keys AND

2) show the function keys on the touch bar so that you can actually activate one of them

?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 11:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2019 11:45 PM

Nevermind, I found my issue. In karabiner-Elements, "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" is enabled by default 😩 🙄

This shouldn't even be a setting in karabiner. This option is already available in system preferences and it's done better there. The system preferences setting only sets the external keyboard.

So on my system, they were both checked. System Prefs had my external working the way that I like, but doing nothing to the macbook attached keyboard. Karabiner was swapping my F1 keys for media keys when I would press the Fn key in order to get the Fuction keys to even show up. Unchecking the box in karabiner fixed my issue.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2019 11:45 PM in response to NorrinRadd

Nevermind, I found my issue. In karabiner-Elements, "Use all F1, F2, etc keys as standard function keys" is enabled by default 😩 🙄

This shouldn't even be a setting in karabiner. This option is already available in system preferences and it's done better there. The system preferences setting only sets the external keyboard.

So on my system, they were both checked. System Prefs had my external working the way that I like, but doing nothing to the macbook attached keyboard. Karabiner was swapping my F1 keys for media keys when I would press the Fn key in order to get the Fuction keys to even show up. Unchecking the box in karabiner fixed my issue.

how do you turn off media keys AND show function keys on the touch bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.