Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacbookPro Mid-2019 not Charging via USB-C

Hi there, I just got a brand new MacBook Pro Mid-2019, Dual 8-core 2.4Ghz, and no matter what I do, I cannot get the battery to charge by any method other than the power supply the Mac came with, despite information to the contrary on the web.

I just got a new OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock, and when I plug in the USB-C cable, it recognizes it -- but the battery icon stays BLACK, and hovering says "Battery Not Charging" "Power Source: Power Adapter". I've installed the software for the dock, and still no dice.

Additionally, I haven't been able to get it to charge with a USB-C to USB-3 adapter cable and plugging it into a wall (or any other powered USB-3 device) as I'm apparently supposed to be able to do, and I get the same message -- "Battery Not Charging".

I was about to blame the dock, but considering this is consistent across multiple charging alternatives I'm starting to worry there's something wrong with my laptop, and that would be a major bummer.

I've tried all the different ports, a dozen different cables and adapters, and different wall sockets in different buildings, and result is the same.  

I also tried a battery reset by holding down CNTL-SHIFT-OPTION + POWER on Shutdown, but I'm not even sure it works like that on this machine as any key seems to wake it up, and I've updated all the software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! This is frustrating to know it should be able to connect and charge on one cable and I'm still dealing with two!

Thanks for your help!

Josh

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 1:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2019 1:36 PM

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2019 1:36 PM in response to jmlfilm

Make an appointment at the Apple Genius Bar for service. If you need to find an Apple Store - Find a Store - Apple. Also, see How to find your nearest Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP) or Distributor (AAD).

"Your Apple-branded or Beats-branded hardware product (“Product”) is warranted against defects in materials and workmanship for a period of ONE (1) YEAR from the date of original retail purchase (“Warranty Period”) when used in accordance with Apple`s user manuals (refer to www.apple.com/support/country). Under this warranty, you will be able to direct your claims to Apple even in situations where you purchased the Apple Product from a third party.” [Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty – Accessory - For Apple and Beats Branded Products Only.]

Jul 18, 2019 6:21 PM in response to jmlfilm

You need to connect the dock to the laptop using the proper Thunderbolt port on the dock as per the user manual:

Thunderbolt 3 ports — Connect one port to the Thunderbolt 3 host; you must connect to the dedicated Power Delivery port (right) to charge the host.

Also is the blue LED lit on the Thunderbolt 3 Dock which indicates the dock's power adapter is supplying power to the dock?

FYI, you cannot charge the laptop using USB-C to USB-A cables. The USB-A ports can power some devices, but may need drivers to be installed to charge an iPad.

I'm referencing the 14 port Thunderbolt 3 Dock and its User Manual since it is the current model.

https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/manuals/OWCUGTB3DKV2-web.pdf

Here is the OWC page to locate other Thunderbolt 3 Dock information for drivers and manuals for older models.

https://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/index.cfm?page=/manuals/item/owcthndrblt3dock.html

MacbookPro Mid-2019 not Charging via USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.